Ruby-throated hummingbirds are still hanging around these parts, but not for long. A few males still migrate through, but most visitors are now females and juveniles. A couple of days ago, I decided to take a break--to observe them and photograph them before they're gone.
I was having trouble capturing them on their favorite plants. The little guy pictured above had a favorite branch throughout the summer, but he's gone...
And, of course, they're not shy about flying down right next to me to sip from the feeders. But what about their favorite plants--places I've seen them nectaring many times?
For example, for many years I've had Fuchsias in hanging baskets around the house. The hummers frequently flutter around them and sip from the bottoms of the flowers.
And, of course, they're not shy about flying down right next to me to sip from the feeders. But what about their favorite plants--places I've seen them nectaring many times?
![]() |
| 1. Fuchsia 'Marinka' |
For example, for many years I've had Fuchsias in hanging baskets around the house. The hummers frequently flutter around them and sip from the bottoms of the flowers.
![]() |
| 2. Hosta aequinoctiiantha |
They also seem to enjoy these late-blooming Hostas, which I believe are Hosta of the Equinox (H. aequinoctiiantha)--currently at peak bloom. While I've previously seen hummers loving on them, this time when I sat down to try to capture them with the camera...no luck.
![]() |
| 3. Lablab purpureus |
Same with Hyacinth Bean Vine (Lablab purpureus). The hummers were flitting around it on the garden obelisk, but by the time I had my camera ready, they were gone.
![]() |
| 4. Zinnia elegans |
Surely during my little visit they would stop and rest while sipping nectar from this beautiful Zinnia? Not this time.
![]() |
| 5. Salvia (unknown annual cultivar) |
OK, for some reason they regularly buzz around this measly remains of an unknown, overwintered, potted Salvia. I'd even thought about pulling it until I saw the hummers on it. No luck with photographing them here either.
![]() |
| 6. Tithonia rotundifolia 'Goldfinger' |
Finally, the Mexican Sunflowers (Tithonia rotundifolia) apparently were irresistible...

Aha, there you are! The garden is always a happy place when hummingbirds live here. I'm trying to savor them until we part again for many months.
It's "Six on Saturday." Check out the meme at Garden Ruminations. If you're so inclined, join in with six of your own recent garden observations!






A lovely post. Oh to have such birds in the UK. I love the hummingbird silhouette photo.
ReplyDeleteYou got some lovely shots, wow! Your patience paid off, and your flowers are really looking great. I have the most difficulty with getting photos of butterflies. They float around, never landing long enough!
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to get some hanging baskets of Fuchsia for that same reason. I saw a total of one hummingbird this season, and my Lobelia cardinalis having faded away did not help. I do not have much in the way of nectar for them so I should refill the feeder this morning in case any are looking for some fuel. Great pictures!
ReplyDeleteGolly, your last photo is amazing.
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot of hummingbirds visiting too.
We also have several monarchs dancing around, it has been a fairly good butterfly year here.
Great photos! Hummingbirds are so fun to watch. I need to get some more plants that they like. I've seen them drinking from tall larkspur (delphnium exaltatum) in the spring, but need more for later in the season. I had no idea they like Mexican Sunflowers.
ReplyDeleteYour patience was rewarded! Hummingbirds are so dynamic and energetic. I'm grateful that they migrate as far north as they do so that we can enjoy them too.
ReplyDelete