September 05, 2026

Six Garden Samples From Europe

Bad Ems, Germany
Bad Ems, Germany: The Fishman's grandfather grew up in this town,
so we made a special side trip to spend a day exploring.

We recently returned from an amazing trip to Europe! We visited six countries: The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, and Switzerland. While the trip wasn't specifically a "garden" tour, plant people naturally notice fun garden arrangements and creative combinations, don't we?

So for this "Six on Saturday," I'm sharing six nifty little gardens I noticed along the way.

1 Ship Herb Garden

First, the simple herb garden on the top deck of our river ship. The chef regularly gathered herbs for the delicious dishes he served us.

2 Brussels, Belgium

Next, this whimsical sphere display in Brussels, Belgium, with glass balls and flowers on top, and...sunglasses? I later found out this display was created to celebrate the eclipse. (I think some of the flowers were real and some were fake, but it was cute.)

3 Strasbourg, France

Our trip was a river cruise, so our excursions brought us to cities and towns along the Rhine River, its tributaries, and connecting rivers. This beautiful bridge display brightened the riverfront in Strasbourg, France.

4 Breisach, Germany

And this grouping of stunning Roses greeted us in Breisach, Germany.

5 Furtwangen, Germany

Also in Germany, in the Black Forest town of Furtwangen, carved rock planters created an earthy, solid mood.

6 Bad Ems, Germany

Finally, in Bad Ems, Germany, colorful towers of ornamentals abounded.

What a wonderful trip! I hope to share more in the months ahead, but it's taking me some time to process what a treasure it was, for so many reasons!

For more "Six on Saturday" entries, visit Garden Ruminations. Thanks to Jim for hosting!

22 comments:

  1. Lovely images! Thank you for sharing! Very fun to see! It makes me think of all the plantings where I work and how they impact visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth: Thanks! Oh yes, the little corner and side plantings can really make a difference, right? :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Oh, the photos are beautiful. Can't wait to see more, but take time to relax and recover first. Travel takes some recovery time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's good to be back, but we had an amazing trip! Most of my photos aren't really related to gardening or plants, but the architecture, history, food, and culture were incredible!

      Delete
  3. Stunning photos from this trip! It obviously looks very familiar to me, since it's quite close to where I live—about 300 km from Belgium. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fred: That helps with my perspective. I live about 235 km from Chicago, so it helps me understand the distance. We were thrilled to spend a little time in both Belgium and Luxembourg, since they weren't in the original plan. We missed most of the castles along the Rhine, but the switch to Belgium and Luxembourg was nice. And then we got to see some castles from the train on the way from Basel to Koblenz and Bad Ems.

      Delete
    2. Next time, visit Normandy and have a stop there !

      Delete
    3. OK, it's one of the places I'd like to visit, Fred!

      Delete
  4. Oh Beth, you've enjoyed a magical European trip. I love your thinking to bring these different places to your Six-on-Saturday. Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was wonderful! Thanks! All the destinations were delightful--the culture, the history, the architecture, the food...all fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for that European tour! That floral display on the bridge in Strasbourg is very beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strasbourg was bright and magical...well, all the locations were special in their own ways. I can't really pick a favorite.

      Delete
  6. "Thanks, for the memories" :) I lived in the Rhine Valley—in Germany but not far from Strasbourg, 50+ years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, lucky you! Was that in the Black Forest area? We spent some time there--hiking and visiting a clock shop and glassworks store. The Black Forest reminded me of forests in the northeastern and northern midwest U.S. states.

      Delete
  7. Your river cruise sounds - and looks - like it was wonderful fun, Beth! The scenery is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris: Yes, it was wonderful! It seems like a dream now. It was great fun to visit so many countries and delightful communities. :)

      Delete
  8. Hey, it's Amelia. Lovely! It always seems the container plantings in Europe are better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia: The container plantings over there certainly were impressive! I've seen some pretty amazing ones in North America, too--depending on the community and the local gardening culture. :)

      Delete
  9. Welcome Home,
    I am excited to see more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! It was a wonderful trip. I highly recommend it! It's an investment of time and money, but when all your meals and transportation (except for flights and side trips) are included, it's well worth it! Great vacation!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I love all of these photos, but the arrangement with the eclipse glasses is darling! The Europeans always have such lovely outdoor container gardens. Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina: Yes, it was so fun! The arrangement as a nod to the eclipse really caught my eye. I wasn't sure at the time of the purpose, but it was so creative!

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Other options: Click on the arrow next to "Anonymous" and choose either "Google Account" or "Name/URL"...

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!