September 21, 2026

Celebrating September's Plenty

bouquet 1

This is a lovely month for floral arranging! The days and nights are cooler, and the plants have had plenty of sun and rain. Today's vase includes annuals and perennials; pinks, blues, purples, greens, and a touch of white.

Hosta aequinoctiiantha

First, I included bell-shaped flowers from Hosta of the Equinox (H. aequinoctiiantha).

Sedum spectabile 'Autumn Joy'

A few clusters of Sedum 'Autum Joy' (S. spectabile) called out for inclusion.

Conoclinium coelestinum

Mistflowers (Conoclinium coelestinum) in lavender and white had to be snipped. (The white version is very similar to White Snakeroot, but if you look closely, the flowers are different.)

Zinnia elegans

Zinnias (Z. elegans) pleased the bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, and gardener.

Cosmos bipinnatus and Hydrangea macrophylla

And foliage from Cosmos (C. bipinnatus) and Hydrangeas (H. macrophylla) added structure.

bouquet 2

Not bad for late-season elements. I'm linking in with In a Vase on Monday, at Rambling in the Garden. Thanks to Cathy for hosting!

18 comments:

  1. The mist flower really sets everything off so nicely! Your cosmos foliage looks so lovely and lush. Yay for cooler weather ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mistflowers are taking over the garden, so they're perfect for picking. ;-) I wasn't ready for October weather yet, but it looks like we'll have a little warm-up next weekend. 🔆

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous! I love how you arranged them all together in the vase. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex: Thanks! It's fun to have so many to work with. The hummingbirds seem happy, too. 😊

      Delete
  3. Gosh, what healthy cosmos foliage you have, Beth! How lovely to see your autumnal mix, not all blooms I recognise. I avoid using my sedum for as long as possible, in case a time comes when there is nothing else, but yours sets the other blooms off so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy: I know what you mean about holding off on the Sedums for picking. I do that, too. They seemed a little overgrown this month, so they provided some handy filler. I LOVE the Cosmos--both the flowers and the foliage--grown from seed scattered in the garden. Cheap investment. 😊

      Delete
  4. A pretty September arrangement, Beth. I like the contrast of the leaf texture of cosmos and hydrangea, nice! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliza: Thanks! The Cosmos are so airy and pleasant for filler. And the Hydrangeas are leaping over the walkway, so...

      Delete
  5. What a lovely assemblage, Beth! Seeing zinnias, hostas, and sedum among other things mingling together like that is something I can only imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris! It's a wonderful time of year here. Sometimes underappreciated, including by me, I think. Things don't really get uncomfortable until mid-October, and sometimes later.

      Delete
  6. So many flowers still! Autumn Joy is always so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the garden is pretty messy, but it's certainly brimming with blooms. I love the always-reliable 'Autumn Joy,' as well.

      Delete
  7. Stunning colors and flowers not to emotion foliage for the waning days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I'm not ready for the first frost. I hope it will hold off until mid-October. 🤞

      Delete
  8. Hi Beth, I agree with Cathy - Cosmo foliage is fabulous. I thought it was fennel! Wonderful sedum as well. I have never lived far enough north to have any success with Autumn Joy, mine was always fall flop! Great vase. Am.elia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia: Yes, the Cosmos foliage is wonderful! I love the flowers, too, but sometimes it's fun to grab a chunk of the frilly foliage on its own. :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely Beth! The flowers are all wonderful, especially the hosta flower, but the cosmos foliage really caught my eye first. I had forgotten how pretty it can look as a filler in a vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! Yes the Cosmos foliage grows plentiful in sunny or partly sunny spots. It's a great plant, and easy to propagate from seed. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Other options: Click on the arrow next to "Anonymous" and choose either "Google Account" or "Name/URL"...

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!