October 04, 2023

Friday at the Philly Fling

Belvidere 1

I'm continuing to reminisce about the recent wonderful Garden Fling in the Philadelphia area. On Friday, we toured some incredible gardens featuring a wide range of styles and conditions. The first stop was Belvidere, Andrew Bunting's garden in Swarthmore. Notice the Banana Tree among Andrew's wonderful arrangement of potted plants? We saw Banana Trees (Musa spp.) at just about every garden stop.

Belvidere 2

Andrew's home is surrounded by botanicals of all shapes and sizes, and the Fling attendees (including myself) were motivated to tour all the nooks and crannies. So much to see; just a few observations...

Belvidere 3

Patches of Hubricht's Bluestar (Amsonia hubrichtii) were thick and healthy, and I can only imagine how gorgeous they soon will be in full fall color.

Belvidere 4

Portions of the garden were devoted to gravel/succulent plants, like Yucca (Y. filamentosa?) and Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia).

Belvidere 5

And edibles were plentiful, too. While similar to the lush, ripening tomatoes and other produce at home, it sure was tempting.

Belvidere 6

I promise I didn't eat any, but these blackberries (Rubus spp.) were getting ready for consumption.

Hedgleigh 1

On to Hedgleigh Spring, the second garden we toured, also in Swarthmore. It was created by the great-grandfather of the current owner, Charles Cresson. The garden is anchored by its lovely, quaint Georgian-style home, surrounded by lovely landscaping plants.

Hedgleigh 2

Vines, shrubs, Cannas, Caladiums, and other lush plants decorated the side windows.

Hedgleigh 3

A favorite at home and while traveling, Cardinal Flowers (Lobelia cardinalis) appeared at Hedgleigh and in many of the gardens we toured during The Fling.

Hedgleigh 4

The familiar Closed Bottle Gentians (Gentiana andrewsii) were prevalent, too.

Hedgleigh 5

This bloom, however, was out of this world! I'm not sure what variety of Dahlia this was, but it was stunning and it broke my heart.

Hedgleigh 6

This quaint structure along the path has a story in the history of this garden, I'm sure...

Create A Scene 1

Our third visit was to Michael Bowell's Create A Scene garden, in Malvern. His garden has been called "colorful," which seems like an apt description. Garden art and interesting plant combinations were around every corner.

Create A Scene 2

Michael and his collaborators' business offers plant and floral design, installation, and maintenance; the expertise is evident throughout the garden.

Create A Scene 3

Great combinations of plants and structures throughout provided fodder for next year's planting.

Create A Scene 4

I loved this pond surrounded by colorful annuals and perennials.

Create A Scene 5

More ideas for pots and garden accessories.

Create A Scene 6

I saw a few monarchs during the trip, including this beauty enjoying Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) at Create A Scene.

Boulder Haven 1

The final private garden visit of the day was Carol Verhake's Boulder Haven, in Berwyn. Beautiful pathways and landscape plantings were evident here, too.

Boulder Haven 2

Carol placed photos throughout the garden of "befores," and the garden itself served as the "afters." It was amazing to see the improvements made to the property.

Boulder Haven 3

For example, what a beautiful, welcoming front pathway, which didn't exist before.

Boulder Haven 4

My full-scale photos of Carol's "moon gate" didn't turn out, but you can see the bigger picture and the story behind it at this link. The stone/slab structure and the plants around it are truly lovely.

Boulder Haven 5

This beautiful waterfall and stream caught me by surprise...wow.

Boulder Haven 6

And the bees were loving this Abelia (Linnaea x grandiflora). I think this might be 'Peach Perfection.' Yum.

Our final stop of the day was Chanticleer! I'm still processing the magic of that world-renowned garden (sigh), and I'll share my impressions at a later date.

28 comments:

  1. So many fun gardens here, and I enjoyed your recap, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved all the gardens for so many different reasons. What a fun Fling! :)

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are lovely Beth, and even though I saw the same things you did, I learned some new things from your post! And yes, that dahlia -- SWOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kimberley: Thank you! It was so fun to meet you at the Fling. I hope we'll have more chances to chat at future Flings. So many great memories, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for that link to the origin story of Carol's moon gate. I learned something new. I wonder how many other moon gates fail the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kathy. When I noticed that my photos of the moon gate were inadequate, I hunted for more info to share. Her story was inspiring and fun, and it was so great to see the moon gate and all the amazing plants around it in her garden.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your post, Beth. I love that moon gate, as well as the pond surrounded by flowers and foliage. Once more, I'm regretting that I missed the Fling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that moon gate beautiful? And the pond...and everything else. ;-) Missed you, and hope to see you at a future Fling!

      Delete
  5. Tina: Beautiful garden! The structural elements are seamlessly integrated with the plants--it must have been a real treat to wander through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina: All the gardens were fabulous. It was a great time of year to tour Philadelphia gardens. :)

      Delete
  6. Beth - You are so lucky to be able to join the group - and visit these beautiful places. I'm lucky to have you photos. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree--very fortunate. :) Hope to see you at a future Fling!

      Delete
  7. Pam posted a lecture by Andrew about creating his garden. It’s always so interesting to see these places come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great to compare notes and learn about how gardens are created and maintained. These Philly gardens were truly special. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! I had no idea of this wonderful tour. I will look for it next year. The moon gate, I have seen something similar in a movie, but of course, can't remember the name now. Wait, I might be remembering. It might have been the television show THE AMAZING RACE. I think it was one of the challenges. Loved this post. I have still to go to Chanticleer, I need to make a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it would be great if you could join us for a future Fling! Ah, interesting that they featured a moon gate on that show. I'm still processing Chanticleer...wow!

      Delete
  9. Hello Beth, it all is just beautiful. I do love the impact of the banana and cannas. Thank you for sharing the extra link regarding the moon gate... fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla: The gardens were truly special...of course they always are at every Fling. Hope you can join us for one in the future!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Linda. Missed you. Hope to see you at a future Fling! :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your visit to these gardens, Beth. Carol's "moon gate" looks awesome. The dahlia reminds me of D. 'Great Silence'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie: Yes the "moon gate" was wonderful, and it inspired me to learn more about it. Thanks for the potential ID on the Dahlia!

      Delete
  12. What a collection of cool gardens to visit! Sounds like you had an excellent time and I'm looking forward to your impressions from Chanticleer. No pressure but it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, Frank! I will definitely share thoughts of Chanticleer at some point, but I need to mull it over some more. I'd really like to visit that garden in other seasons, too. Amazing!

      Delete
  13. Oh, that moon gate, swoon. And everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the moon gate was fun. :) It was a great Fling...as always, so much to take in and process. But a great time viewing gardens and plants, and reconnecting with Fling friends.

      Delete
  14. I would love a moon gate - but you need a good view, both coming and going. Perhaps a moon window?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very good point! They are lovely in the right setting. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!