September 28, 2023

Flinging at Longwood Gardens

bench

I'm just getting settled at home after a wonderful trip to Philadelphia for the Garden Fling. Garden bloggers, writers, photographers, podcasters, and video-makers on public social media platforms from around the U.S. and several other countries visited public and private gardens together.

I'm still processing the experience and reliving the beautiful memories, but here are some brief thoughts about our first stop: the fabulous Longwood Gardens. So many photos and observations; here are just a few...

border 2

border 1

border 3

I really enjoyed the border gardens at Longwood. The plant combinations--colors, structures, foliage, and blooms--were beautiful and creative. 

lantana trees

Can you believe these are Lantana trees? I wonder if I could train Lantanas to do this: potted and outside during the summer, and in the sunroom during the winter. Hmmm...

native plants

Longwood has several beautiful areas devoted to native plants, like these New England Asters (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae), Cardinal Flowers (Lobelia cardinalis), Goldenrods (Solidago spp.), native grasses, and others.

potted plants

The potted collections and arrangements were impressive, too.

bonsai

We had a behind-the-scenes session demonstrating Bonsaii care and development, which was fascinating and fun.

And the roses...

rose 1

rose 2

rose 3

rose 4

rose 5

Whenever I see a rose display, I must stop and sniff and dream!

water lilies

Another behind-the-scenes session focused on Longwood's water lilies (Nymphaea spp.)--so dreamy and lovely!

I can't share everything about this amazing trip, but stay tuned for more coverage in the days and weeks ahead. And check out many more descriptions at the Fling website.

For more information about the history and philosophy of Longwood Gardens, visit this link.

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Beth! What a great day that was! I always have to wander through the rose garden, too. It just calls my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberley. It was so great to meet you in person! What a great Fling, wasn't it? Now I want to go back to all the gardens to spend more time...

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your recap of the amazing Longwood experience, Beth. It was great seeing you again on the tours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. So much to see and observe...as always, a great experience to view and share with other gardeners. Wonderful to see you again, too. :)

      Delete
  3. It was great to see you in Philly, Beth. And when I look at these pics, I’m struck by the fact that you and I took such very different pictures of very different subjects! But there was so much to see, it’s not so surprising, I guess. Longwood really did have something for every taste and style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jane! It was great to see you, too. :) It is interesting to see how we all cover these places differently. There were points during the day(s) when I tried to simply step back, put the camera down, and experience the gardens...maybe more than I have in the past. Great memories!

      Delete
  4. Looks like it was a gorgeous garden, but I imagine there's more to come! Glad this was such a good trip for you, Beth. Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina: Yes, it was amazing. I'm still reeling over the highlights. :)

      Delete
  5. Lantana trees... WOW... My lantana is going on 5 years old. It really did well this season full of blooms and growth... maybe it wants to be a tree. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know: Isn't that amazing?! Good luck! I've never tried to overwinter Lantanas (maybe once), but maybe I should.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous photos, Beth! I'm really regretting that I didn't make it to the Fling this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I hope we'll both be able to attend a Fling the same year. It would be fun to chat and enjoy the gardens together. :)

      Delete
  7. Lantana trees? I'm trying to imagine how this works. Guess I don't know what's underground beneath mine. Beautiful borders. Thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed, for sure! I think I need to try to overwinter some Lantanas in the sunroom. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing the beautiful color! Not much left here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It definitely was colorful in Pennsylvania in September. Our gardens here are still colorful, but winding down.

      Delete
  9. Lantana trained into trees? I wonder how tall they could grow and if they would continue to bloom inside during the winter.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions. :) They were amazing! There are quite a few videos and articles about it, including this one: https://tinyurl.com/yefspdnu

      Delete
  10. Wasn't that waterlily bloom display (on the leaf) just fantastic? It has me thinking of other plants I could do that with, for an alternate vase display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish we'd had more time there...just incredible. And as you say...fodder for other plants for displays. :)

      Delete
  11. I visited Longwood a couple of times, once with the group, and I see it is still a fabulous place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's wonderful. Of course, as you know, we never have enough time at the gardens during the Fling. So much to see, and they're all so beautiful!

      Delete
  12. So glad it was a great Fling--sad to have missed it, but hopefully next year. Longwood looks beautiful and am looking forward to much more beauty in your future posts. (And Hooray for roses!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longwood is amazing, along with all the other gardens we visited. Yes, yay roses! Hope to see you at a future Fling!

      Delete
  13. I am finally coming to read all the Fling posts. The potted display is good both for its plants, and the interesting textured pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pots and the hardscapes were beautiful, too. All around, it was a wonderful Fling, with so much to take in. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!