October 16, 2023

Sunday's Highlights at the Philly Fling

Swarthmore 1

The last day of any Garden Fling is bittersweet: You know you have more time touring with garden friends, but too soon it will be over. Our last day of the Philadelphia Fling started at the Scott Arboretum at Swarthmore College. Lush pathways welcomed us to several plant collections and unique garden areas.

Swarthmore 2

We split up into small groups, and one of the first places my group visited was the Dean Bond Rose Garden. I tried to get the names of the varieties, but believe it or not, this one didn't have a plant marker. It was luscious, full, and heavy with raindrops.

Swarthmore 3

There were several Magnolia trees along the path, including this 'March 'til Frost' variety. The forming cones were as interesting as the blooms.

Swarthmore 4

Apparently, as the name implies, it begins blooming in March and continues, intermittently, throughout the growing season until late autumn. Magical.

Swarthmore 5

Nifty seasonal displays were scattered around the campus, here beautifully framed by the lacy, white Euphorbia hypericifolia 'Diamond Frost.'

Swarthmore 6

Nearby, Salvia 'Amistad' was making a statement at the corner.

Northview 1

Our next visit was to author Jenny Rose Carey's Northview Gardens in Three Tuns. Her garden was such a whimsical blend of little tucked away areas, regal scenery, and welcoming props throughout.

Northview 2

I imagined spending warm summer days in this lush, partially shaded patio area.

Northview 3

'Augustus Falls' was surrounded by beautiful rock formations and plentiful plants.

Northview 4

And the apples! These, I think, were the biggest apples I've ever seen. And believe it or not, this semi-dwarf variety 'Wolf River' was developed very near where I grew up in Central Wisconsin!

Northview 5

What can I say? A tin bucket full of Zinnias: a perfect welcoming display.

Northview 6

Jenny's staging area was neatly arranged and full of plans and plants.

Paxson Hill 1

After lunch, we headed to Bruce Gangawer's Paxson Hill Farm in New Hope. My first stop was the garden center shop, where I noticed these beautiful stained glass panels. If only I lived closer...

Paxson Hill 2

There was so much more to Paxson Hill Farm than I could have imagined. It started with this inviting walk through several gardens, with views through arches, hedges, and props beckoning...

Paxson Hill 3

Friends along the way...

Paxson Hill 4

Ending at the moon gate, framing a statuary. Just lovely.

Paxson Hill 5

Some of the Maple foliage was warm and bright--here framed by understory plants, taller trees, and a companion Beautyberry shrub (Callicarpa americana).

Paxson Hill 6

This statuary really caught my eye. It was placed on a staged area with seating opposite. Very graceful and elegant.

Mill Fleurs 1

Our late afternoon garden stop before dinner was Barbara Tiffany's Mill Fleurs in Point Pleasant. More colorful trees, shrubs, and waterways greeted us here.

Mill Fleurs 2

This was a beautiful, shaded Eden, which I can imagine is stunning in all seasons.

Mill Fleurs 3

Like the other days, on Sunday we encountered more lush Dahlias. (Sorry, again I don't have the variety name. I think I'll have to do a separate post about all the amazing Dahlias of this Fling!)

Mill Fleurs 4

Barbara had several unique plants and plant collections, including these marked Hosta varieties.

Mill Fleurs 5

It was a colorful woodland wonderland.

Mill Fleurs 6

A great place to end a very fun, inspiring Garden Fling! Warm thank-yous to all our hosts and sponsors!

Stay tuned for more coverage of the Philly Fling, as recorded at the Fling website.

14 comments:

  1. That was a very wet but still wonderful day of garden touring. Thanks for sharing all the fun pics and memories, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I'm trying to forget the uncomfortableness of it. The memories were still very special and the plants looked so happy with the precipitation. Thank you for all you do re: the Flings throughout the years. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photographs. I loved the 'tucked away' photograph, and also that phrase...it seems a bit like secret garden, but more accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Each garden was so special, as always seems to be the case. And time with friends visiting these special places is so cherished.

      Delete
  3. I'm kicking myself that I missed out on this Fling, Beth. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you! Hope to see you at a future Fling. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, I like the tucked away areas, a secret garden. :-) That dahlia... oh my!!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...the Dahlias were amazing. And the tucked away, secret places, too. :)

      Delete
  5. Love all the nooks-n-crannies of garden delights. Your tour of these gardens was something truly special, even if a bit on the soggy side! Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina: Thanks, and it was a wonderful Fling, even though rainy on a couple of the days. Amazing gardens!

      Delete
  6. Looks like it was a wonderful fling. So many beautiful scenes in your photos.

    Hope to be at the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a great Fling. And I hope we'll cross paths at future Flings. :)

      Delete
  7. I remember Wolf River apples. That is one of the many things I miss from Wisconsin, the huge variety of different apples that were available from orchards - lots of older, heirloom ones that were fun to try and quickly became favorites. Wish I had the skills to build a moon gate. The are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the apple crop here in Wisconsin is impressive. We just purchased more at an orchard today. :) I don't remember Wolf River apples from my childhood, but maybe my parents purchased some and I didn't notice. But these apples at Jenny Rose Carey's garden were the biggest I've ever seen! And I agree about the moon gates.

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!