July 22, 2024

July 'Vases' of Plenty

mixed arrangement

At this time of year, the options seem endless for floral arrangements. It's such a dramatic contrast to midwinter; although the slim pickings of midwinter help me appreciate the plenty of July. The flowering annuals I started from seed are great companions to perennial offerings.

hosta flower 2

In the arrangement at the start of this post, I used Hosta flowers at the top and back to help frame the collection. I don't know the variety; all Hostas in the garden were here when we moved in more than two decades ago, and they weren't marked.

gladiolus

Also framing the arrangement are Glads (Gladiolus grandiflora hybrids). I planted the corms in the garden after the last frost in early May.

hosta and hydrangea foliage

Foliage from Hosta and Hydrangea (H. macrophylla) anchor the background of the arrangement.

coneflower

Purple Coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) add beautiful structure. 

salvia

A couple of 'May Night' Sage sprouts (Salvia x sylvestris) dot the sides.

zinnias 1

Perhaps the stars of the grouping are the various Zinnias (Z. elegans) from the cutting garden, which I grew from seeds started in the sunroom in March.

zinnias 2

The Zinnias shown here are 'State Fair Mix,' although I also have 'Zowie Yellow Flame' and 'Giant Purple' in the garden.

cosmos

The Cosmos (C. bipinnatus 'Sensation Mix') flowers are so very plentiful and delightful. Their seeds were planted directly in the garden in early May.

hosta flower 1

I also added some Hosta flowers and Cosmos foliage to this second vase.

tall glad

Finally, I've continuously placed single, tall Glads in this slender vase, which seems perfect for their regal stature.

I'm linking in with Cathy's In a Vase on Monday meme over at Rambling in the Garden. Head on over to see some amazing arrangements.

20 comments:

  1. The middle gladiolus is nearly the same colour as my dahlia! What an iteresting mix of blooms in your vase - and well done for remembering to use some hosta flowers, as I tend to forget their potential. It's lovely to see zinnia appearing in vases now - I have some I will be able to use soon too. And I do love a slim vase with a single bloom - so elegant! Thanks for sharing, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that about some of our color similarities. :) I rarely use Hosta flowers for some reason, but they're good framing and filling elements, so I need to use them more often. The Gladiolas continue to bloom since their plantings were staggered. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Beth all are really gorgeous. So much color and the shape of each is unique. I wish my cutting flowers were ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. :) It's always a thrill when the Zinnias and Cosmos are ready, because I have so many, and they keep blooming until frost.

      Delete
  3. A lovely and colorful arrangement, Beth, and I love your coffee pot vase. Is it vintage or made to look that way? And I think your single glad looks very elegant... that vase is perfect for it! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eliza. The container is actually a watering pitcher. I can't remember where I got it, but it's not an heirloom or "expensive." Thanks for your kind comments. :)

      Delete
  4. The quality of the blooms is super, and what magnificent gladioli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noelle: Yes, the Glads have been very healthy and expansive this year. I'm glad I remembered the tall vase to showcase some of them.

      Delete
  5. Hi Beth, this looks so joyful. I like the way you've arranged the different flowers/heights. Times of plenty indeed, so let's keep enjoying it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annette. Agreed: I love this time of year. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I love it all. Gladiola have always been a summer favorite of mine.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working with Glads, too. I used to plant them every year for organizational floral arrangements. I quit for a few years, and now I'm back for several. They're just so easy, and great additions to add height and drama to arrangements. :)

      Delete
  7. What a beautifully arranged collection of summer flowers Beth! I do love those Gladioli, and the single vase for them is such a great idea. The sage and the hosta flower are also very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. :) It certainly is fun to work with plentiful elements direct from the garden. I so enjoy your garden arrangements, too!

      Delete
  8. A beautiful arrangement, Beth! I particularly appreciate the glads. My own were very disappointing this year, with none making their way into a vase. I've no IAVOM contribution this week as I'm still trying to catch my breath after returning from the Puget Sound Fling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. I'll look forward to your coverage of the Fling, since I couldn't make it this year. <3

      Delete
  9. Oh, so pretty! I love gladiolas, and these really make the whole arrangement even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I love the Gladiolas, too. I can't believe I took a long break from growing them--they're such perfect cut flowers.

      Delete
  10. The single gladiola in the crystal vase doesn't need any framing. It is majestic all by itself and doesn't need any distractions. It is perfect.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the single Gladiolas in the vase. The one in this post was one of the tallest I've ever harvested.

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Other options: Click on the arrow next to "Anonymous" and choose either "Google Account" or "Name/URL"...

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!