March 07, 2023

Colorful Discoveries
At the San Antonio Botanical Garden

display gardens

One of many highlights of our recent trip to San Antonio was visiting the San Antonio Botanical Garden with Jean at Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog. A resident of the area, Jean shared helpful gardening and historical information, and we had some fun discussions.

cabbage and lettuce

The botanical garden had some impressive edibles growing in beautiful displays.

edibles

The displays included information about the plants and required growing conditions.

cabbage and violas

In many cases, the edibles and ornamentals were interplanted, which is always fun to see and do.

quarry-reservoir garden

Other highlights of the botanical garden included this former limestone quarry, which was transformed into a public waterworks system for the city in 1877. Now a beautiful sunken garden, it features a staggered seating area, climbing vines, and beautiful stonework.

pansies and more

Some of the displays were unique--for example, Pansies (Viola x wittrockiana), Swiss Chard (Beta vulgaris), and Prickly Pear Cacti (Opuntia spp.) growing in a display together.

nobile rock orchid

We visited during the gardens' Orchid Celebration, which was fabulous. I took so many photos, but the only name plate I captured was this healthy Noble Rock Orchid (Dendrobium nobile).

orchids

The others were, of course, incredibly lovely and colorful, too.

texas bluebonnet

An extra bonus was that the Texas Bluebonnets (Lupinus texensis) were just beginning to bloom--at the botanical garden and throughout the surrounding area.

It was one of many beautiful days in a beautiful part of the state and a lovely region of the country.

************

[Hey Friends: I've noticed an increase in anonymous comments. I think the Blogger comment form has changed. I want to publish legitimate comments. If you post anonymously, please include your name in the comment text so I know who you are, and that you're a real person and not a bot. (First name is fine; first name and handle, even better.) Thanks so much!]

26 comments:

  1. This is another botanic garden I'd like to see. I love the orchid display! I remember how impressed I was when Shirley of Rock-Oak-Deer posted on San Antonio's then new family adventure garden - it was SO much better than the 50+ year old children's garden at my local botanic garden, only now finally under renovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a fun botanical garden. Very warm and welcoming, too. The orchid show was amazing, but the entire place was great!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this post Beth, thank you.
    I just shared with my husband that we should grow chard this season. Can you believe I have never eaten it or grown it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Carla. Thanks for stopping by. Swiss Chard is beautiful, but I must admit I'm not a fan of it as an edible. There are so many other similar choices that my palate enjoys. But I know some people really like it.

      Delete
  3. Would love to see the lupines, how lucky you got to see the Orchid Celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Bluebonnets were fun to see. :) And the Orchid event was amazing!

      Delete
  4. I wondered from your last post if you'd visited the Botanic Gardens and see that you did! Nice! I haven't been there in a while; I guess a quick drive south on I35 is in order, after reading this great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina: Yes, the botanical garden was a highlight. You're so fortunate to live relatively close. Next time I'm in Texas (I hope it will happen before too long), maybe we can meet. Or maybe we can meet at another garden communicators event. :)

      Delete
  5. You've had some fun travels. Love the Texas Bluebonnets and oh! Those orchids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a great trip! And San Antonio is a fabulous place to be in February and March.

      Delete
  6. Really enjoyed this blog post, so much color! What a wonderful trip, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hollis. Yes, Texas blooms and grows long before we do. Great place for northerners to get away during part of the winter.

      Delete
  7. (I'm re-sending this as it went through as anonymous last time!) This looks like a wonderful day, Beth, and it's all so lovely! When I was last in San Antonio, some 11 years ago, I didn't realize they had a botanical garden! I did get to visit the Ladybird Johnson garden in Austin, though. Love those bluebonnets! And how nice you got to go with another blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the re-send, Kimberley. :) Yes, the botanical garden is lovely, and we had a great time that day. The temperatures were perfect and the plants were fabulous. It was pouring the day (a few years ago) that I visited the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, so I need to get back there to really explore it under better conditions.

      Delete
  8. The lettuce and orchids are beautiful, but you can't beat a Texas bluebonnet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I was thrilled that the Bluebonnets had started blooming while we were there. It was fabulous to see so many lush edibles already growing outdoors down there, too. We can't start ours outside until late April.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea. I'm missing San Antonio now that winter is back at home. But the memories are great and spring is on its way here in S. Wisconsin. Cheers!

      Delete
  10. Bellissimi immagini! Si respira proprio l'aria di inizio primavera :)

    Un caro saluto!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tour of this wonderful garden. Even the edibles look beautiful! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun, Lee. The edibles growing so lush in February were so uplifting and beautiful, as you say. Happy spring!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful day and I love the pictures. The lettuce surprised me. It took a second to realize the way they were planted together created a flower. That was original.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannie. Yes, it was all very impressive, and the lettuces were beautiful in addition to looking delicious. :)

      Delete
  13. I also like the name URL option. I would like to be able to click thru when I see a comment from a new to me name.

    ReplyDelete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!