October 09, 2020

Happy 10th Anniversary, PlantPostings!

Ten years ago, I started this blog. I'm reminiscing lately: So much has happened in our world in that time, and so many plants have come and gone from my garden. I've learned so much in the garden and beyond. And as long as I garden, I'll learn something new every day and every year, which is a pleasure.

It's fun to look back and compare. One of my first posts describes the setting here, and that hasn't changed much. We've lost a few trees and so have our neighbors, while other trees have grown taller.

This all has changed the garden frame a bit, but the basic setting is about the same.

2010: More grass, fewer groundcovers, same and different trees

2020: More plants, less grass, a pond, same and different trees

In another early post, I decried the rabbits and mentioned my future dog ... which we did adopt eight years later (in December 2019). As described in that post, I'm still sticking with daffodils instead of tulips (except in pots).

Reminiscing is fun, especially with 10 years of posts to glance through. I'd say I'm looking forward to 10 more (and I am!), but who knows what blogging will look like 10 years from now. Will people still visit? Does it matter?

Which brings me to the most important part: Developing friendships with other plant-loving bloggers and communicators. These are among the most fulfilling friendships of my life because we share the same hobby/passion/pastime. As long as blogging (or something like it) is still alive and people are continuing to share ideas and updates about their plants and gardens, I want to be part of it.

Back in December 2010, I wrote about these special people:

"As I look ahead to 2011, I do so with hopeful anticipation. And a good portion of it is due to the new plant-loving, pleasant, lovely friends I’ve made through garden blogging. I’ve always known that gardeners are generous people. But I had no idea how many great people I’d meet through ... reading and commenting on fellow bloggers’ posts.

It’s interesting, actually, how most of our blogs are not about people at all, but about our garden successes, failures, and tips and tricks. But it’s the sharing of these that makes the gardening and the blogging so very rewarding."

Yes, this is what it's all about. Thanks, friends, for all these years of fun and garden-sharing conversations!

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations Beth! Ten years is a big deal. I'm glad to have met you virtually via the blog (and Instagram) and chagrined that I missed getting to know you in person at the Austin Fling. One day that omission will be corrected! Best wishes with your next ten years of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. Back at you! If I'd known (don't know how I missed your name on the roster) you were at the Austin Fling, I would have searched you out. Hope we'll have a chance to meet in person soon!

      Delete
  2. Happy 10th Anniversary Beth. I have been so happy to have met you. Your blog is a treasure to me as you are. I miss some of the blogs that have gone away to other mediums. It just isn't the same. It seems to me a blog is more personal. More like sitting down and having a cup of tea with a friend and listening to what is going on in their garden. May you have many more happy successful years of blogging and most of all gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I feel the same way about you, your blog, and our virtual and in-person conversations. :) My best wishes to you, too, and I look forward to many more discussions.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and Happy 10th! I feel very blessed to have meet you through blogging! These gardening friendships are precious. I don't remember the exact year I found your blog but it has been a long time and I have enjoyed reading about your gardening journey. Cheers to many more years of gardening and sharing it with others, however, that may look. Hugs kh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin: I so agree! It was so fun to actually meet in-person at my first Fling! After following your blog and others for several years, it was fun to be able to tour actual gardens together and have fabulous gardening conversations in-person. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on a decade of fabulous blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Gail. Your blog was one of my favorites from the start. Thanks for your friendship and mentorship. :)

      Delete
  5. What a milestone! Totally agree about how blogging has "unearthed" (see what I did there? lol) some precious friendships, including yours! It was such a strange - and wonderful - coincidence that we both attended our first Fling AND our first GardenComm conference at the same time. Here's to 10 more wonderful years! And I have my fingers crossed for Madison next year - I've been going through Fling withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to be "newbies" together at the conferences. And I'm so glad you're my gardening and blogging friend. I'm really hoping the Madison Fling will happen. Yes, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. I like looking back to see how much the garden has grown and matured. Congrats on the blog anniversary. So glad we have become friends. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I'm glad we're friends, too. I hope we'll all be together next summer!

      Delete
  7. That's wonderful, Beth! And thanks for the many beautiful photos that have brightened my days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Hollis. Thanks. I so enjoy your blog, too. Love that part of the country!

      Delete
  8. Happy tenth blogaversary! Today I was thinking that lockdown means no one has 'seen' our garden this year. But, blog readers have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. Yes, we can always share our gardens virtually--even during quarantines and lockdowns. :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Beth for sharing your beautiful garden and blog with us. I always enjoy your posts, both in text and photos. It's hard to keep up blogging at times, but I look forward to at least another decade of delights from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is hard to keep up with things. I just realized I hadn't responded to some of the comments on this post, even though I had read them. What a fun community of garden bloggers!

      Delete
  10. Happy 10th Anniversary Plant Postings.It is nostalgic to compare your garden from the previous years.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to gardening here http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/10/garden-affair-fruit-harvest.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Beth,
    Congratulations on your 10 years of blogging. I always enjoy your posts. I have learned much from you. Thank you for the friendship too, looking forward to meeting at the Fling next year.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla. I'm looking forward to meeting you, too. Your part of the state is so lovely, too. :)

      Delete
  12. Congrats Beth! Ten years is quite the accomplishment. Here's to the next ten...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loree. I really can't believe it's been 10 years. So much fun along the way, comparing notes with other gardeners like you. :)

      Delete
  13. Love this ...
    I too wonder, what will be ten years from now.
    My iPad holds my life.
    Photos, life stories, recipes, banking, medical, personal tid bits for my children to read, Every thing is contained right here in this book pad.
    All anyone would need, would be my passwords.
    And at the top of my list, my gardens and plantings.
    Drawings and directions of what is what.
    I just had a thought.
    One day, no doubt, someone will say, “look, come here, a jack in the pulpit.”
    I look each spring, hasn’t happened yet but one day, I am sure.
    If not for me, for someone.
    Stay with . . . you are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, back at ya, Lynne. Your irises have bloomed for a couple of years now here. I'll have to try to dig up more JIPs for you--maybe if I dig them up earlier in the season...

      Delete
  14. Time flies when blogging! Amazing isn't to look back on the early days of our gardens and our blogs. I feel as familiar with some bloggers gardens and projects as i do with my own. Best wishes for the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, time flies, for sure! Your garden is amazing, and it's so fun to read your blog, especially since we're in the same general area. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!