Happily, we had a gentle, plentiful rainfall last weekend. Plants and people are pleased. And while the drought and high heat took their toll, I'll ignore those sad stories and focus on a few pleasant garden happenings for this "Six on Saturday."
The pot in the photo above is hard to capture because it's in a corner--between some fencing, the potager, and the Lilac shrub. It seems to like its location, and the colors and shapes of its elements always capture my eye when I'm working over there.
I almost gave up on the various Hydrangeas. I told the Fishman, "Remind me: Never again plant a Hydrangea!" They are heavy water-suckers, and they're never happy with hot temperatures and no rain. They were near dead for about a month. Then I see them like this after a good soaker, and my soft spot for them returns (a little).
Three beauties are currently blooming on the trellis bordering the potager: an unknown Hollyhock (Alcea rosea) from a seed mix, Maypops (Passiflora incarnata), and Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata). The bees, butterflies, caterpilllars, and hummingbirds enjoy that part of the garden (though I neglected to capture photos of pollinators for this post).
I've repeatedly tried to capture this duo over the seasons and the years, but photos simply don't do it justice. Threadleaf Bluestar (Amsonia hubrichtii) surrounded by common variegated Hostas form a break between two paths. It's not the ideal spot for sun-loving Amsonia, but it thrives as a small shrub-like clump, with beautiful blue flowers in late spring and golden foliage in the fall. At this point in the summer, I cut back the spent Hosta flowers so the plants look a little tidier.
Near the porch, False Sunflowers (Heliopsis helianthoides) bloom with Blue Vervain (Verbena hastata), another native plant that's a pollinator favorite.
Finally, American Cranberrybush Viburnum (V. opulus var. americanum) is sporting its late summer, golden-orange berries. They ripen to a beautiful bright red in autumn.
I almost gave up on the various Hydrangeas. I told the Fishman, "Remind me: Never again plant a Hydrangea!" They are heavy water-suckers, and they're never happy with hot temperatures and no rain. They were near dead for about a month. Then I see them like this after a good soaker, and my soft spot for them returns (a little).
Three beauties are currently blooming on the trellis bordering the potager: an unknown Hollyhock (Alcea rosea) from a seed mix, Maypops (Passiflora incarnata), and Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata). The bees, butterflies, caterpilllars, and hummingbirds enjoy that part of the garden (though I neglected to capture photos of pollinators for this post).
I've repeatedly tried to capture this duo over the seasons and the years, but photos simply don't do it justice. Threadleaf Bluestar (Amsonia hubrichtii) surrounded by common variegated Hostas form a break between two paths. It's not the ideal spot for sun-loving Amsonia, but it thrives as a small shrub-like clump, with beautiful blue flowers in late spring and golden foliage in the fall. At this point in the summer, I cut back the spent Hosta flowers so the plants look a little tidier.
Near the porch, False Sunflowers (Heliopsis helianthoides) bloom with Blue Vervain (Verbena hastata), another native plant that's a pollinator favorite.
Finally, American Cranberrybush Viburnum (V. opulus var. americanum) is sporting its late summer, golden-orange berries. They ripen to a beautiful bright red in autumn.
That's it for this "Six on Saturday," a wonderful meme hosted by Jim at Garden Ruminations. Here's the participant guide. Enjoy!
I'm taking a bit of a blog break for a fun event that's been planned for many months. I'll share highlights when I return. "See" you at the end of August!

Is the dark leaved plant in your top photo a ipomea? It is lovely. Fabulous climbers and the berries on your viburnum are beautiful and so nice that they change colour. Do the birds love them? Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteHi Gill: Yes, I checked the tags to make sure I had the correct varieties and added a caption. Isn't that Sweet Potato Vine a beauty? I have it in several pots around the garden. I think it looks particularly eye-pleasing placed with light green/chartreuse foliage. Re: the Viburnum, yes the birds go for the berries, but they seem to wait until winter when some of the tartness has faded. I've been thinking maybe I should dry some for our consumption. The taste isn't pleasing to me when picked fresh, and I don't make jams or jellies. But maybe they'd be tasty dried. We'll see.
DeleteI love the contrasts of the foliage and flowers in that first photo. The American Cranberrybush Viburnum is a show.
ReplyDeleteThat pot of Impatiens and foliage plants was a quick planter, but I'm pleased with the results. They seem happy in their little corner. We have two of those Viburnum shrubs. They were actually volunteers, and I'm so happy they're part of the landscape.
DeleteThose Hostas are pristine and make a fabulous show.
ReplyDeleteInterestingly, the Hostas were here when we moved in many years ago. A Cherry tree grew in the middle of the ring. When it died, I tried some other pots and plants in that spot, but the Amsonia seems like a natural companion.
Deletethe false sunflowers and Vervain look so good teamed up together.
ReplyDelete