July 24, 2026

Gardener Delights and Desires

Petrichor

I played around with a graphic about petrichor, because this is what I currently desire--for myself and for the garden. You've probably experienced petrichor, but here's the Merriam-Webster definition:

petrichor noun

pe·​tri·​chor ˈpe-trə-ˌkȯr 

: a distinctive, earthy, usually pleasant odor that is associated with rainfall especially when following a warm, dry period and that arises from a combination of volatile plant oils and geosmin released from the soil into the air and by ozone carried by downdrafts.

I want this. Maybe you do, too? So many of us are living in dry, hot conditions this summer, and it would be wonderful to have some rain so we don't have to lug water around the garden, and/or watch our plants wilt, go dormant, and/or die. It would also help alleviate some of the rampant wildfires. There's hope it will happen for some of us soon.

Today it's time for "Six on Saturday," hosted by Jim at Garden Ruminations, where we compare what's happening in our gardens. This week, I looked past the brown and wilting things toward plants I've watered or plants that are extremely drought-tolerant and "keep right on dancing."

Echinacea and Heliopsis

First up, the Coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) and False Sunflowers (Heliopsis helianthoides). Both barely need water and, while they're looking a little tattered, they continue to bloom with abandon.

potted foliage

I'm regularly watering the potted foliage plants, so they are happy.

Summer Beauty

This little wonder gives and gives and gives. 'Summer Beauty' (Allium lusitanicum) blooms from midsummer through August, and it even looks fabulous after it dries ... until about December, when the first big snowfall flattens it. I rarely water it. I love it and the bees love it. I planted it around the mailbox several years ago, and now I simply enjoy it, whether we have rain or not.

Rudbeckia

Brown-Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta) are somewhat drought-tolerant, but these are getting watered with other plants in the potager. They dominate the center of the bed.

Tomato

The Tomato harvest won't be impressive (because of my garden conditions and the drought), but I must have Tomato plants for delicious BLTs. The pantyhose prevent insect damage and critter nibbling. (I don't remember which variety I planted this year, and I'm being lazy about checking the tag.)

Zinnias

Finally, the Zinnias: Like Tomatoes, they're a "must have" for me. Shown here are 'State Fair Mix' and 'Zowie Yellow Flame.'

Onward! I hope you'll get some rain if your garden needs it. If not, please send some my way. Head on over to Garden Ruminations to see what's thriving in other gardens around the world!

24 comments:

  1. I have never heard of petrichor so thank you for a new word. How we would all relish a whiff of petrichor right now as so much of the world seems to be on fire. I love your six beauties, especially the fabulous zinnias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was my papa who first introduced me to the term. He was a reader and new little bits of information about fascinating concepts. I can remember enjoying that scent from a very early age. Yes, I do hope those of us who need the rain and enjoy the petrichor will receive our wishes soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Petrichor is a new word for me, as well! We had some of that business earlier in the summer, as it's been rather wet. Now, we're in the dog days and it's very humid.

    I love your summer pretties! The brown-eye susans are so summery, as are the cones! Stay cool, if you can! Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina: It's been a while since I've smelled petrichor. We had some big rains early in the spring and summer, but then the high heat came with little to no rain since late June. Humidity, as you describe, certainly adds to the discomfort. While I have some tolerance for heat, I struggle when it doesn't rain for weeks on end. The garden tasks certainly multiply. Fingers crossed that we'll both get some relief soon. You stay cool and well-hydrated, too!

      Delete
  3. I too just love petrichor, and haven't had a sniff of that for weeks! Your tomato protection had me smiling. I also saw those painted posts on the preceding post, they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My imagination is smelling the petrichor, which makes me smile. Re: the Tomato protection--I can remember times when the fruits were ripe and just about ready for picking...and then a small friend (bird? squirrel? chipmunk?) beat me to the harvest. The Buffalo gardens were wonderful and it was a fabulous Fling!

      Delete
  4. I’m surprised to see pantyhose wrapped around the tomatoes to keep insects away, but I understand it. As you’ve seen, I use mine ( my wife's) to suspend the melon. 😁
    "Petrichor" is one of my favorite words, and the scent is something you either love or hate. Generally, though, it’s something people look forward to. ( we need rain right ? ! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I noticed that we both use pantyhose in the garden, and posted about them today. I don't even wear them anymore, but they're certainly utilitarian in the edible garden. Tee hee. I think part of the allure of petrichor for me is the happy memories it brings...but also the results in the garden after I smell it. Lightning and rain, of course, are beneficial for growing things, but some sources mention that the scent of petrichor is a sign of fertile, healthy soil conditions. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I do know the garden seems to grow and thrive after I smell it. :)

      Delete
  5. Petrichor sounds like a word I may have heard but forgotten but now I need to know what 'geosmin' is and how/why it is released from soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I must admit I was guessing on the actual substance and had to look it up. Wikipedia didn't help much: "Geosmin (/dʒiˈɒzmɪn/ jee-OZ-min) is an irregular sesquiterpenoid with a distinct earthy or musty odor, which most people can easily smell." So now I must research "irregular sesquiterpenoid" to learn more. ;-) I must say, however, that pertrichor is one of my favorite scents. Childhood memories and happy gardens, I guess.

      Delete
  6. I tried the pantyhose (or bought the little ones from a gardening store) on apples once. The coddling moths still managed to get their eggs in there, and the larvae still ruined the apples. Hope your tomatoes do better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa: Oh, that's a bummer! My most frustrating Tomato situations were when the fruits were just about ready to pick, and some critter took bites out of them. Fingers crossed that the few Tomatoes I have this year will survive through the harvest.

      Delete
  7. I've heard of petrichor but I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of smelling it - maybe our persistent smog chokes it out.

    The first of the relatively small number of Zinnias I got from seed this year have flowered but they're all ivory in color so far so I feel as though I've been robbed! The Rudbeckia 'Juliana' is at least still putting on a good show so I have to remember to plant more of those next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current conditions are setting us up for a lovely dousing of rain after weeks of high heat and drought. Fingers crossed. I might be asleep when the petrichor scent hits, though, because the system is forecasted to hit in the early morning hours. Still, receiving even a bit of rain will be wonderful. Love Rudbeckias, too. And sometimes the 'State Fair Mix' throws in ivory Zinnias, among the many other colors. I love the ivory ones, too!

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the tomatoes; I also need to have at least one BLT to enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pilar! There's nothing like a BLT with fresh, organic Tomatoes and lettuce! I've been enjoying your cooking reels!

      Delete
  9. I sowed Echinacea this year, but of course they're just leaves until their second year. Hopefully they'll bloom beautifully like yours and not mind the drought-like weather we seem to be having these days.
    Your beautiful allium is definitely on my wishlist. I'd love to have one that blooms a bit later in the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Echinacea is another one of those "endless giving" genuses of plants--for humans and for pollinators! They're beautiful and they're great cut flowers. I take them for granted, but I shouldn't. Their only problems are a few diseases, like aster yellows, mites, or powdery mildew. I hope yours will be disease-free. I've had some issues with Coneflower diseases at times, but for the most part they're easy-care, reliable plants.

      Delete
  10. Oh dear. I just replied on my blog that I'm sure you finally have everything well-watered and back in shape but it sounds like you're still waiting. Ugh. Drought is always the most tedious part of summer... so I hope you get some relief soon!
    But it all still looks wonderful, I hope the joys of summer outweigh the browning and crisping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank: Yes, we're still waiting for rain. It looked like we might get some today, but the systems went around us. We hit 95 today, with heat indices well into the 100s. Not pleasant. But the forecast going forward looks lovely...if we get some rain. I hope your summer forecast is pleasant, too. Don't work too hard in the garden.

      Delete
  11. A sprinkle at night would be wonderful, I do love the smell after a rainfall. I've forgotten which tomatoes are which - a summer tomato sandwich is THE BEST! Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) We didn't get rain last night or today, but we did miss out on some terrible storms near here, so I can't really complain. Fingers crossed we'll get some gentler rain in the next few days. Here's to summer BLTs!

      Delete
  12. I don't think I have ever seen anyone wrap a tomato before. The chipmunks have been getting ours. I may need to wrap ours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerry: I don't remember where I got the idea--many, many years ago. I think a friend mentioned it. I do remember times when the chipmunks and squirrels got to the Tomatoes before I covered them and that is frustrating. I hope your harvest will be plentiful in spite of the critters. ;-)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Other options: Click on the arrow next to "Anonymous" and choose either "Google Account" or "Name/URL"...

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!