July 29, 2023

Six on Saturday: Plant Performers

alliums

I'm joining in with Garden Ruminations' Six on Saturday meme: highlighting six things of note in the garden. With this post, I'm highlighting plants that are great performers, for various reasons.

1. The 'Summer Beauty' Alliums (A. tanguticum) in the first photo. I planted these last summer and they're taking over their spot around the mailbox. It's OK: They bloom nonstop midsummer, they're drought-tolerant, and they're lovely. Plus, the rabbits don't eat them.

coleus

2. Potted Coleus (C. scutellarioides) mixed cultivars. Coleus have been essential annuals for me for many, many years. They're so colorful and lush, and they thrive in shade.

bugbane

3. Bugbane (Actaea racemosa) is a reliable native perennial that supplies plentiful pollen for bees, butterflies, and other pollinators. It's also a regal focal point in the shady garden.

gladiolus

4. Gladiolus (G. grandiflora) blooms. What can I say? They're beautiful, elegant, and great for cut flower arrangements.

hyacinth bean

5. Hyacinth Bean Vine (Lablab purpureus) is another must-plant annual for me. It really seems to like this dappled shade spot, and I rarely need to buy more seeds. I clip these, dry them, and plant them the following year.

coneflowers

6. Purple Coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) are fabulous native perennials. I've recently planted them in new places throughout the garden, in full sun and partial shade. They're performing well in all locations, and like so many other plants in this post, they're great cut flowers and they serve the pollinators.

The garden is happy with recent rains! Thanks to Garden Ruminations for hosting!

21 comments:

  1. Nice group. Love those Alliums and also ‘Millenium’, especially the fact that rabbits don’t want them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 'Millenium' is wonderful, too. I've been so happy with all the Alliums I've planted here. They're beautiful, rabbit-repellent, utilitarian plants.

      Delete
  2. All beauties, Beth! I keep planning to try growing a hyacinth bean vine from seed but I've yet to do it. The photo of your gladiola has me missing mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can't say enough good things about the Hyacinth Bean Vine. The flowers are beautiful, too, but they aren't blooming right now. The Gladiolas are fabulous cut flowers. I wish I didn't have to dig them up for the winter, but it's worth the effort. I missed a couple this past autumn, and believe it or not they survived our winter. Must be the warm, sunny spot over there at the side of the house.

      Delete
  3. "the rabbits don't eat them" -- what could be better? The pink is lovely with the white post. The Coleus provide zing!, the Actaea airy grace, Gladiola yes elegance and rumor has it there are now Echinacea that will survive a winter in a no-chill climate, so maybe I can finally stop being jealous of gardeners who can grow them and grow one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm adding more and more plants the rabbits won't touch. The long-eared monsters are my biggest garden challenge. :( Interesting about the new Echinacea variety. That will be nice for you. :)

      Delete
  4. An awesome six! Love your gladiolus, Beth. I nearly bought Coleus this year and not sure why I didn't. Used to grow it a long time ago and must again. Do you find it does better in pots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew Gladiolas for years and years, and then I didn't for a while...not sure why. They're wonderful, beautiful cut flowers and require very little extra care except to lift and dry the bulbs in the fall (your winters are probably warm enough that you wouldn't have to do that?). Re: the Coleus...I guess I've just always grown them in pots, and lots of varieties together. Also, I think rabbits might eat them, so...

      Delete
    2. You are right. The gladiolas come back each year, although in reduced numbers. They might do better if I'd dig them up but I know myself pretty well--that's not going to happen. I didn't add new glads this year but still had a good showing. I used to have one similar to yours and it was a particularly reliable one.

      Delete
  5. A lovely six. I keep seeing Coleus in posts and am determined to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. :) Yes, the Coleus have been wonderful annuals for me for so many years. They add so much color in the shade.

      Delete
  6. Everything looks nice. My coneflowers are done already. I don't have planting areas in the shade, so seeing yours make me a bit sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I've been a bit surprised how well the Echinacea is doing in the shady spots, but it's partial shade, so they get hints of sun all day. They do, however, truly love the sunny garden the best.

      Delete
  7. Lovely 6. I am intrigued by the Hyacinth bean, are they ediblle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten the Hyacinth Beans, but apparently the immature pods are edible when cooked. Most sources recommend not eating the mature pods. I just find the pods and the flowers so beautiful. :)

      Delete
  8. I’m thrilled with my small alliums. I have them out by the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee: I agree; they're so easy-care and beautiful. :)

      Delete
  9. The Echinacea are quite striking and a lovely upright in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Echinaceas are so reliable throughout the garden, and they're great for pollinators and as cut flowers, too.

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    I planted Hyacinth Bean Vine for the first time this season, and I do love it. It is really fun! I love how the sunlight grabs the purple of the bean.
    Coleus are a favorite of mine too. And gladiolus are one of my all time favorite flowers!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla: Isn't HBV fabulous? It's been a stalwart in my garden since the first year I planted it many years ago. Such a great climber and beautiful, as you say. And I can't say enough good things about the Coleus and Gladioluses, too. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!