January 25, 2023

Looking Back and Planning Ahead

march 1

I'm dreaming about the growing season ahead; are you? Some garden friends in warmer climates are beginning to see new growth, while others in even milder locations have year-round active gardens. Here in the Upper Midwest U.S., our growing season doesn't really get going until March. While, yes of course, changes are happening under the soil and under the snow and ice all winter, the growing party doesn't really start until spring.

So...I'm reflecting on some of the highlights of last year's garden as I plan ahead. In March, it started with the budding and blooming of Snowdrops (Galanthus spp.), shown above.

march 2

Other fabulous and reliable garden friends that made their appearances in March included the ornamental Alliums. (Though most actually bloom in late spring and early summer, it's fun to see the new growth poking above the soil and preparing for the season ahead.)

april 2

Crocuses (C. vernus) greeted late March and early April with bright color and tenacity, even as winter and spring duked it out with fluctuating temperatures and variable precipitation.

april 3

Some of the Hellebores (H. orientalis) began blooming in March, but their performance really got going in April.

april 1

The rabbits didn't eat/destroy the Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica) last year because I provided adequate caging.

may 1

may 2

The Baltimore orioles and ruby-throated hummingbirds were right on schedule in early May. 

june 1

june 2

june 3

Alliums (A. giganteum), Salvias (S. nemerosa), and Dwarf Korean Lilacs (Syringa meyeri) took the stage in June, their cool pink and purple blooms great for floral arrangements.

july 2

Viceroy butterflies (shown here) seemed more plentiful last summer, while their look-alikes, monarchs, were lower in numbers in my part of the country than they have been in the past.

july 1

Wild Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa) offered cheery July blooms to pollinators and humans, alike.

august 3

In August, the garden flowers I'd planted from seeds, bulbs, and corms earlier in the growing season offered vases full of color.

august 2

A family of red-tailed hawks visited our backyard. That was a thrill!

august 1

Also a thrill: every monarch I saw, because there were so few.

september 1

In September, I found a patch of Downy Gentians (Gentiana puberulenta) during a hike, definitely a beautiful discovery.

september 2

The juvenile hummingbirds, as always in late summer/early fall, kept me entertained.

october 1

The Maples (Acer spp.) colored the front yard view in October.

october 2

At the same time, the garden was still full of plentiful blooms, since we didn't have a heavy frost until late in the month.

october 3

We had plenty of Tomatoes for BLTs late into the season.

november 1

The hanging Fuchsias even bloomed into early November.

november 2

And I saw monarch butterflies later in the season than I've ever seen them before, though I'd seen very few earlier in the year.

It was a beautiful growing season, and I'm looking forward to the one ahead in the coming months. Though these are all blooms and thrills from last year, I'm linking into Gail's Wildflower Wednesday over at Clay and Limestone. Happy memories and best wishes for the growing season ahead!

28 comments:

  1. Just thinking about tomatoes makes my heart beat! Love that pinkish edging on the Allium foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; fresh tomatoes are the best. I have so many Alliums now, because the rabbits don't touch most of them...only the little ones.

      Delete
  2. Hawks, butterflies, Orioles!, and gorgeous blooms. Most definitely something to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great place to live and garden from May through October. The other months are OK, too, except February. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to all of those things! We're encompassed in a snowstorm here in Quebec, so spring seems far away. But back in Asheville, there will definitely be signs of spring in early March as we return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to dream about the upcoming growing season! And looking back gives it perspective. Sounds like you'll be really cold at your Quebec place in the days ahead. We'll be cold next week, but not that cold. Stay safe and warm!

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely collection of images to look forward to, Beth! Your colorful spring is just around the corner (at least that's what I keep telling myself). I enjoyed the bird photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. Once March rolls around, there are so many little developments to look forward to.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review of last year's treats and a hint of the things to come! Lovely captures, Beth, and spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It helps to dream at this time of year. Spring is only a few weeks away now. Yay. Lots to look forward to for you, too, and it's probably greening up now?

      Delete
    2. Slowly, but surely. The thing is that February always kicks our butts, freeze-wise. So while things are budding out, we could easily get a hard freeze (or 3!) in February and even into March. It's always a drag when that happens, which is almost yearly. :) It's a gardener's bane!

      Delete
    3. That is frustrating! That happens to us in April. It's especially touch and go with the fruit trees that bud and bloom toward the end of the month.

      Delete
  6. Beautifuness! Loved the natives and critters...especially. xogail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always start dreaming of the coming growing season (in the wild) in November! Thankfully there are so many great photos to enjoy online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess I do from the first freeze until May. And when we don't have much snow through the first part of winter, like this year, the groundcovers, mosses, and perennial nubs keep me occupied. And, yes, the plant photos on blogs and other online sources are so encouraging, especially during these later weeks of winter. :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. It feels good to see something green again even if it is only on my computer screen.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed, Jeannie. Especially during the coldest temperature snap of the season. It looks like we'll have warmer weather in the days ahead. Yay. I hope you're staying warm and safe this winter.

      Delete
  9. Oh goodness, I am getting spring fever. ;-) This was fun. Thank you for sharing flowers, birds, butterflies and good fresh eats.
    I did remember to plant snowdrops, I am excited to have them in my garden and cannot wait to see them blooming... maybe May? Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, snowdrops--that will be fun, won't it?! :) Do share photos on your blog. I'll bet you'll see them in late March or April.

      Delete
  10. I loved your post! As we enter into a weekend of a very cold snap, I relish every bloom to be seen! Your capture of the snowdrops is magnificent. I think I’ll run outside and glance at my Hellebores before it gets too cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. We're just coming out of what I hope is our last subzero cold snap of the season. We have 30s and 40s ahead, which is pleasant and warmer than normal for early February.

      Delete
  11. Your area is very similar in what grows and wildlife to me place in the world, Mid-Atlantic state of New Jersey. I live in the southern portion between Philadelphia and the Jersey shore. I am also beginning to dream of Spring. My bulbs are pushing upward, another month or two and there might be some blooming of daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been traveling, so I'm sorry for the delay in my response. This time of the year is exciting, isn't it? Especially after the long, cold winter...even though it hasn't been a rough winter for us. I'll be traveling to the Garden Fling in Philadelphia in September. Will you be there?

      Delete
  12. What lovely memories and dreams ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Donna. So much to look forward to in the months ahead!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Yes, they are stunning in October, Diana. The pictures don't do them justice. The oblique light hits the leaves and they glow so beautifully. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!