July 18, 2021

Door County, Revisited

IMG_7149

I'm cheating a bit with this post. We spent a few days in Door County, Wisconsin, earlier this month, and it was colder than we'd expected. We still had a wonderful time (first post-vaccination vacation), but I didn't take out the camera much.

So this post includes photos of one specific park from our recent visit, and a collection of colorful annuals and perennials photos from our last visit. I figure the floral displays are often similar from year to year, and Door County always shares amazing creativity in all ways, including with art, gardens, and other displays.

IMG_5487

So, let's start out in Egg Harbor, a quaint bayside town, with a beautiful little waterfront park displaying many recreational boats and lovely maritime views.

IMG_5510

Harbor View Park is a sweet spot to spend some time, no matter what the weather.

IMG_5494

The large boulders along the walkway blend well with the sky and waterway scenes.

IMG_5496

This is a fun place for boaters, walkers, and wanderers.

IMG_5498

The 'Seafarer' statue sets the mood for the historical significance of this town, as a port on the bayside, with access to the larger Lake Michigan and the chain of Great Lakes.

IMG_5512

There's a lovely little garden in the park, too. Some beautiful metalwork sculptures, courtesy David Reimer and Angela Lensch Gallery, were on display--incorporated so beautifully into the landscaping.

IMG_5513

IMG_5516

IMG_5490

I really enjoyed the moose sculpture.

IMG_5519

And the rooster, I believe on permanent display, by artist William Jauquet.

IMG_5524

We visited the park several times during our recent visit, and one of the evenings featured a free, live band. The weather that evening was more comfortable, and it was lovely to see people enjoying the beautiful evening and the music.

So the remaining photos here show some creative displays of colorful annuals and perennials; not from our 2021 visit, but from our visit three years ago. Door County is always vibrant with potted plants and impressive gardens.

IMG_7202

IMG_7192

IMG_7200

IMG_7198

IMG_7195

IMG_7190

IMG_7182

IMG_7188

IMG_7186

IMG_7194

IMG_7185

IMG_7183

IMG_7180

IMG_7177

IMG_7204

IMG_7208

We did a lot of hiking, too, but with the rain and cold weather, I didn't snap any photos. No matter what the weather, however, Door County, Wisconsin, is one of my favorite summertime destinations. It's a little piece of heaven on earth.

22 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Oh I do agree, Door County is a true treasure. I enjoyed this tour on blogland. I will not make it that direction this summer.
    Thank you for sharing all the beauty.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived closer, I'd make sure to get there every summer. I grew up near there, so it was a more regular destination. I wouldn't want to live in Door County year-round, but I love it in the summer!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful sculpture and “flower yum!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Door County gardens (small and large) are always so impressive and cheerful. And there's so much to do in the area!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you got away to enjoy your post-vaccination status, even if the weather didn't live up to expectations. I loved all the metal sculptures in Harbor View Park, particularly the joyful rooster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good to make the foray as we were a bit rusty in the travel department. That particular park was definitely a highlight. :)

      Delete
  4. I have often read about this area but have never really been there to do touristy things. It looks like quite the destination place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great place for a vacation. I've been there so many times (grew up nearby), and I never get tired of it.

      Delete
  5. It looks as if you had a lovely trip. What beautiful floral displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very nice. First vacation "after" COVID and first vacation longer than a weekend with the dog. He was a great traveler. :)

      Delete
  6. We have an Egg Harbor within driving distance in NJ. Like yours, a beautiful holiday destination. Love your sculptures in the park and, of course, the flowers are beautiful. It's so good to get away after being confined for so long. We are planning a trip to the NJ shore at the end of next month. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nifty about your Egg Harbor, too. :) It was good to have a little vacation. I'd forgotten how much prep, packing, and unpacking goes into it, but it was fun. Glad to get home, too. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Looks like such a lovely place to visit & stroll around. Reminds me of how much I miss strolling around while travel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place for people of all ages. So much to do on the Lake Michigan side and the Green Bay side. I've been there so many times (grew up nearby), and I still want to go back for more.

      Delete
  8. Personally always preferred The Ridges Sanctuary across the pennisula just north of Bailey's Harbor. Of course they ruined a portion of that unique plant community to make a place for wind surfers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. We stayed in a cottage within walking distance of The Ridges. I walked in a bit, but need to get back there again, too, on a future trip. We had the dog along this time, and had other stuff planned. But The Ridges is amazing. I did a previous post about it: https://bit.ly/3i0wKbF

      Delete
  9. Hubby and I really need to get our more and explore more of WI. There seem to be so much that we are missing! Loved all these photos. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Door County is amazing in the summer (and some people like it in the spring and the fall). I love Minnesota, too. My daughter went to college in Winona, and I have family near Windom and Jeffers. :)

      Delete
  10. Looks like you had a great trip. I like that rooster. I lived in WI for 2 years but never made it to Door County. Judy has been, though, back before we met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness. You and Judy need to make some roadtrips to Wisconsin. ;-)

      Delete
  11. The rooster statue is my favorite. I love him. I wish I could have him in my garden, as long as he doesn't crow at sunrise.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty special, for sure. He was perfect for the spot, too. :)

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!