December 23, 2020

Vignettes for Happy Holidays

wreath

It's winter, and currently, we're warm--warm for this part of the world in December, anyway. The snow is melting after two days with temperatures in the 40sF. But by the time you read this, things will be different: There won't be much snow left for Christmas, and our HIGH temps will plummet into the 10sF. It truly will be a good time to stay inside--warm and cozy.

Tuesday, I ventured out to the garden to take stock, and I found a few fun scenes.

kale

In October, I'd plopped some ornamental kale into my front porch pots, and they're still alive. They really perk up on warm days. I didn't have the heart to clear them out for traditional December decor, so I simply stuck some gold filament curlicue stems in the pots with them.

hydrangea

The Hydrangeas have plump buds that, most likely, will perish in the deep freeze ahead. I guess I should wrap them in burlap, but I never do. Oh well; some years they flower, some years they don't.

viburnum

This time of year, it's fun to investigate the various red berries in the garden. I saw very few remaining on the Cranberrybush Viburnum (V. trilobum). I don't know what that means?

sumac

The Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina) always holds some berries into the spring, when the robins come back to nibble on them. 

yew berries

The Yew berries (Taxus baccata) never fail to offer a cheery holiday vibe.

wren house

I need to find a safer spot for the wren house in the spring, but it's cute resting on the rock wall for now.

bird house

This new bird house fits well in the crook of the Redbud tree (Cercis canadensis).

moss

One of my favorite vignettes this time of year: the yin and yang of warm green moss and cold, white crystalline snow.

juniper

These Juniper (Juniperus squamata) branches appear to be clawing their way out from under a snow blanket.

ivy

This English Ivy (Hedera helix) is still thriving and evergreen. Usually, I bring it inside for the winter, but I have other pots full of it, and this one is heavy and difficult to move. It's placed adjacent to a warm, heated pond. Will it survive our subzero days?

mum foliage

Finally, the Mums (Chrysanthemum spp.) illustrate the dramatic transition from autumn to winter so well.

To all my plant- and nature-loving friends, may your holidays be bright and your travels into the New Year safe and healthy!

~

Check out Anna's Wednesday Vignettes at Flutter & Hum.

36 comments:

  1. Lovely, Beth. I hope the holiday season is excellent for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back at you, Lisa! Thanks, and thanks for your friendship. Stay safe and comfy.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine daytime temperatures in the 40s, much less the teens! Stay warm and appreciate your garden from inside, Beth. Enjoy what this season (even this year) has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! 40s seem warm now, after some days in the 10s, 20s, and 30s. I walked the dog today for a mile and the high was 12F. I have no desire to hang out in the garden, but hiking and dog-walking aren't bad until we go subzero. Happy Holidays, Kris!

      Delete
  3. Dang those temps on the way sound so cold. The red berries of Cranberry viburnum are beautiful. Stay warm and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas! The temps aren't too bad...yet. Subzero is really hard to take, but I can cope with a couple of days in the 10s. :)

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Beth! The teens are never fun. We got them right after the snow here. Today is cold for us, and tomorrow quite warm. An up and down winter for sure. Hope you get more snow!~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so far the late fall/early winter weather has been a yo-yo event. Today, we're getting light, intermittent dustings of snow, but we have a lot of open soil. I hope the plants will be OK. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. I love that moss too. Fun post here on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to you Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Lisa! I could study and photograph mosses for hours. So fascinating!

      Delete
  6. We have the windows open after a warm day. That little bit of snow in your photos looks refreshing.

    Strange goings on in Madison WI https://www.channel3000.com/police-seek-tree-thief-rare-pine-stolen-from-uw-arboretum/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windows open...I dream of it! Every day possible, I do the same. We do, thankfully, have quite a few days here when the weather allows open windows in the spring, summer, and fall. That tree theft is strange and sad. I haven't heard anything more about it since November, so I think it remains a mystery. Happy Holidays, Diana!

      Delete
  7. Happy holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy holidays, Beth. Hoping for good times in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy your photos.
    Happy New Year!
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth, best wishes to you (and me) for great 2021. In fact, just a plain old "ok" 2021 would be fine!
    Laramie had 45F Christmas afternoon, unbelievably balmy. We played Christmasy accordion duets in the street. The neighbors from Wisconsin loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! That is really warm for you! We are having a mild winter so far, too. Knock on wood. I'll be happy with no polar vortex. 20s, 30s, and 40s for the foreseeable forecast. Yay.

      Delete
  11. As for winter, the views in the garden are nice. I wish you a wonderful 2021 in good health. Let normality return. Best regards and thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giga! All the best to you in this new year, too. Normality for a bit would be very welcome.

      Delete
  12. I love all your lovely vignettes Beth. Wishing you and your family all the best for a happy and healthy new year. Happy 2021!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. All the best to you and yours in the new year, too!

      Delete
  13. Beth, this is a beautiful vignette. I hope your Christmas was wonderful and that your 2021 is amazing! I miss seeing you on Facebook, as I closed my account, but glad to be following along on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you left Facebook. I put my personal FB account on hold for a while, but I hope to reactivate it sometime in 2021. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I hope I'll be able to meet you in person later this year.

      Delete
  14. Great photos!
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
    Happy New Year!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea! Yes, Christmas and NY's were weird and small, but comfy and safe. All the best to you in the year ahead!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful vignettes Beth, and I love that little bird house in the crook of the tree. Here's hoping for a fabulous and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. All the best to you and yours in the year ahead! :)

      Delete
  16. The snow...it comes and goes. The days are getting longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Layanee: Yes, that is true. We did get a nice snow pack between Christmas and NY's, and it hasn't melted much. Our temps have been near freezing for the past week, with only light, occasional precip, fog, and the most beautiful frost on everything that I've ever seen. It's a magical week!

      Delete
  17. That is what is fun about gardening - every season, every day and every spot is different.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!