April 08, 2019

Austin's Awesome Container Plantings

A Container 1
Stock tank plant display area at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

At the Austin Garden Bloggers Fling last May, I learned that the soil in the Austin area varies widely, depending on the location of the garden. I also learned that Austin gardeners are incredibly creative with their container plantings--often dealing with soil challenges, but sometimes simply because they're talented folks.

Stock tanks, like those used at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center to showcase native plant species, are a common vessel for plants in Austin.

A Container 2

Terra cotta pots set on gravel and surrounded by beautiful rocks are a great way to showcase a little corner of Jennifer Stocker's (Rock Rose) impressive plant collection--in this case, a sampling of succulents.

A Container 3

Metal planting beds edged along a stepped walkway with matching caging seem elegant, and blend well with the natural surroundings at this private garden.

A Container 4

Designer Colleen Jamison's whimsy with pots and plantings includes this delightful stacked display leading up to the door.

A Container 5

A colorful ceramic pot filled with blue marbles suggests water and floating succulents.

A Container 6

Creative window boxes always catch my eye, and the colors in this one are dramatic, but complementary to the structure's paint colors.

A Container 7

Pam Penick's (Digging) stock tank pond is really something special--it fits the surroundings, and the brick pavers framing it.

A Container 8

A totally different style and use of potted plants awaits at the garden of designer B. Jane.

A Container 9

A Container 10

The collections are expertly arranged around the foundations of the buildings and the pool.

A Container 11

Traditional designs are wonderful, too, like this one at a private garden. I love the look of this old-fashioned well-surround, planted with Daylilies, Daisies, and other plants, along with the Celtic cross.

A Container 12

Author/designer Lucinda Hutson certainly works magic with her colorful planters. I love the bright colors of this pair.

A Container 13

This little courtyard on her amazing property is filled with potted fun.

A Container 14

Her unique use of pastel beauty really makes a statement.

A Container 15

Another private garden makes a nice use of echoing potted succulents on the table with a complementary arrangement on the patio. The warm earth-tone colors of the pots set off the beautiful limestone brick.

A Container 16

Succulents spilling over the edge of a metal pot, framed by Salvias in the courtyard--very nice.

A Container 17

Talk about creative--I love everything about this grouping--from the face sculpture to the metal door/trellis to the bright blue pot.

A Container 18

Sometimes pots are so vibrant, the best plants for them are angular and green, like this Pencil Cactus Euphorbia.

A Container 19

Designer Diana Kirby has some unique planters, too, like this vertical planter with succulents, reminding us of the important things in life.

A Container 20

This vibrant blue pot with a tasteful collection of plants spilling out all sides is simply lovely.

The Garden Bloggers Fling is always inspirational and fun. This year we're meeting in Denver, Colorado, June 13-16. To learn more about The Fling visit this link: https://bit.ly/2I7l5ao.

26 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I loved all the container plantings. One could do these no matter how small or large the gardening space. See you in Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I'm late posting this one, but maybe that's good, since so many of us are planning our spring/summer containers right now. Looking forward to the Denver Fling!

      Delete
  2. That inspires me to find, and fill, some more of my pots.
    (And buy some more, I love those rich ceramic colours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree: The colorful ceramic pots are really special. I'm starting to plan my spring/summer container plants. So many possibilities...

      Delete
  3. Excellent. I love containers and want to make my groupings more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. It's so fun to be creative with container plantings. And it's easy to go overboard. ;-)

      Delete
  4. These planters make me itchy to get out planters so I can fill them soon. I have to wait a week or so tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to wait longer than that. But we can both start planning. :)

      Delete
  5. Seeing Fling posts, it's funny how often I catch a few things I completely missed on my tour of the very same spaces. Of course, I missed meeting you in person too, which is the bigger loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally agree! It's amazing how we all see different things. I can't believe we didn't cross paths, Kris, since we follow each other's blogs. Wish you were attending the Denver Fling!

      Delete
  6. Ah...the containers of Austin. That was one of the things that struck me the most during the Fling - all of the container plantings. They were so inspirational! An Austin container post has been at the top of my list when it comes to fling posts but I'm SO behind - hopefully I'll get to it before Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I was late, too. It's been a crazy year. I did manage to publish one other Austin post, but I could do so many more if I had time. See you in Denver, Margaret!

      Delete
  7. Some great pot ideas here. I'm looking forward to a new season of pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Chloris! Good luck, and enjoy the new growing season!

      Delete
  8. So glad you posted all this inspiration! I'm working on my containers later this week and got some great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great--I'd love to see a post about your containers, Cat. You're so creative!

      Delete
  9. I liked many of them. The succulents with in the blue marbles was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know: That marble-filled pot was amazing! I have so many plans for the growing season ahead. :)

      Delete
  10. I love those metal trellises. What a great way to do something useful land beautiful. My husband is not crazy about pots, otherwise I would do more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many possibilities. I love to work with plants in pots. Most of mine are near the house, and then the further away from the house, the wilder the garden.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Ah, I forgot that you guys weren't there. It was a fun Fling. The weather was comfy, even though we had rain one day...it was a warm rain. May is a great time to visit Austin. :)

      Delete
  12. Getting more and more into container plantings in reaction to the gopher activity...lots of inspiration here.
    rickii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Rickii. Good luck with your plantings!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful collection of container gardens!
    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What awesome pictures of beautiful gardens! I feel so inspired. I just came in exhausted from working in my garden and now I am ready to go again...after a good night's sleep.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!