August 15, 2022

August Bloom Day: Pots, Perennials, and Pollinators

Potted Mix

Like most gardeners at this time of year, I have many luscious blooms and plantings to celebrate. I'm linking in today to Carol's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens. In addition to the colorful potted flowers and foliage above, I'm enjoying many other garden goodies. Here are just a few.

Allium Summer Beauty

The 'Summer Beauty' Alliums (A. angulosum) I planted around the mailbox last year are settling in this summer. I have them in other spots in the garden, too, but I think this sunny location will be perfect for them.

Fuchsia Marinka

I've overwintered Fuchsia 'Marinka' for many years now. The plants always get set back a bit with seasonal change, but they readjust and thrive in the garden from May through early October, when I bring them in before the first frost.

Fuchsia Dark Eyes

Fuchsia 'Dark Eyes' is another favorite. I've never overwintered it, but maybe I'll try this year.

Butterflyweed

Butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa) is still going strong, with new blooms, buds, and foliage, as host plant food for late-season monarch caterpillars.

Calamintha

This patch of Calamint (Calamintha nepeta) also blooms for most of the summer and into the fall, until the first hard freeze. It's always covered with honey bees and bumblebees.

Coleus Black Dragon

Who doesn't love the variegated foliage of Coleus (C. scutellarioides)? But the flowers are worthy of praise, too. I always buy several cultivars for my potted arrangements. This one is 'Black Dragon.'

NG Impatiens

'Magnum Purple' New Guinea Impatiens (I. hawkeri) is rich with color and lush health.

Blue Vervain

Native Blue Vervain (Verbena hastata) is another pollinator favorite. The tall branches blew over during a windy storm, but I have them staked a bit and they're still vital and available for the pollinators.

Rubeckia Gold Rush

'American Gold Rush' Brown-Eyed Susan (Rudbecka fulgida), also at the base of the mailbox, took time to reappear and bloom this year. I'm happy to see it's back and happy.

Angelonia Alonia Big Blue

And 'Alonia Big Blue' Angelonia (A. angustifolia) is definitely a dramatic bloomer. It's especially lovely splashed with dew and rainfall.

I'm very thankful for a great growing season this year in my USDA zone 5a garden. We've had just enough rain and plenty of warmth for the plants to thrive.

Happy Bloom Day! Head on over to May Dreams Gardens to see what's blooming in gardens around the world.

20 comments:

  1. Nice to see you have so many beautiful blooms in August. Alonia Big Blue' Angelonia is such a beautiful color. Mine are white so I am enjoying your purple ones. Your Fuchsia is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. I do love the color of that Angelonia...and the form and the growth habit. The Fuchsias seem to enjoy the "mostly dappled shade" aspect of this location.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, beautiful flowers!
    "Dark Eyes" Fuchsia is absolutely gorgeous!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the plants seem to be very happy this growing season. There are a few exceptions, so perhaps I should do a post about those, as well. ;-) Happy GBBD!

      Delete
  3. That first photo shows just how spectacular a creative mix of foliage plants can look with just a touch of floral color. I wish I had your touch with Fuchsias, Beth. I still have 3 plants tucked in my shade house but they can't be characterized as bountiful by any stretch of the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, foliage is fun, too! I think I must give the garden location and conditions credit for the happy Fuchsias. They struggle a bit indoors during the winter, but they seem to thrive in the warm, dappled shade, with watering every few days.

      Delete
  4. I used to grow New Guinea Impatiens in pots on the back deck during summer. Your is beautiful, as are the fuchsias. All your plants look so lovely in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. The NG Impatiens add such depth of color and health. The Fuchsias always seem to like the conditions here in the spring through early fall.

      Delete
  5. I just love the combination of plants in the first picture, so striking! I really love the fuschias and angelonia, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) The first photo is a grouping of potted plants. I was happy with how they filled in and complement each other.

      Delete
  6. That first photo is stunning! A beautiful selection of plants.

    The color of that NG Impatiens is delicious. I see what you mean about "just enough rain"--your plants all look happy and thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groupings of potted plants are always fun. As they fill in, the pots disappear under the growing plants. I need to remember to get the chartreuse Coleus and Ipomoea vine again next year. They add brightness to the shady garden.

      Delete
  7. My normally luscious blooms and plantings are looking pretty fried right now, with no rain for weeks. Yours are amazing! P.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam: I hope you've gotten some rain by now. That can be so frustrating. We had a horrible drought in 2012. It doesn't happen very often, but from that experience, I know it can be awful. Hopefully the rest of the growing season will be better for you.

      Delete
  8. I love your Bloom Day review. I have two dancing butterflies going from one pot of zinnia to the other in my garden this afternoon. Pure Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blooms are all beautiful for August and I especially love the first combination of Coleus, Polka Dot Plant and Impatiens. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when Coleus flowers. I don’t think most people leave any flowers, but I agree they are very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do a little of both. Sometimes I leave them on, and then pinch them off when they're spent to encourage more. The pollinators like them.

      Delete
  11. I especially like the vervain photo ... neat angle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Blue Vervain has really settled into that spot. Love it!

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!