July 12, 2019

Pick a Colorado Plant, Any Plant

ice plants

At every Garden Bloggers Fling, attendees discuss which plant signifies that particular gathering and locale. It's always interesting to hear the ideas. Was it the multicolored Ice Plants (Delosperma spp.) blooming in so many of the gardens?

rock succulents

Or the tiny Hens and Chicks (Sempervivum spp.) and other low-growing succulent plants, which were also prevalent? These were particularly prominent in the many rock and crevice gardens in the Denver area.

Ninebark

The Ninebarks (Physocarpus opulifolius) were blooming: Who can argue with this beauty? But wait; this was one of the plants of the Toronto Fling, right?

agave

The cold-hardy Agaves were happy in several gardens. (Is this A. havardiana?) Well, Agaves were also an Austin Fling plant.

Poppy 1

Oh my gosh, the Poppies (Papaver and Eschscholzia spp.)!

poppy 2

poppy 3

poppy 4

poppy 5

poppy 6

poppy 7

poppy 8

poppy 9

But Poppies are popular everywhere.

african daisies

Maybe it was the masses of African Daisies (Osteospermum spp.).

beaver tail cactus

Or the Cactuses, like this stunning, bright pink-blooming Beaver-Tail Cactus (Opuntia basilaris).

astrantia

Personally, I'm always partial to delicate, but tough Astrantias (A. major).

apache plume 2

And an all-time favorite that's native only to the Southwest U.S. and Northern Mexico is the shrub Apache Plume (Fallugia paradoxa). It looks different at various stages and in different lighting.

apache plume 1

apache plume 3

apache plume 4

Apache Plume seedheads resemble those of Prairie Smoke (Geum troflorum); both are in the rose family.

fox tail lily 2

Many people felt that Foxtail Lilies (Eremurus robustus) were the Denver Fling signature plant.

fox tail lily 1

They were quite dramatic--like candelabra glowing over their garden beds.

rm penstemon 1

But perhaps the signature plant of the Denver Garden Bloggers Fling was the Rocky Mountain Penstemon (P. strictus). That color, that form, those "pollinator pockets"!

rm penstemon 2

rm penstemon 3

rm penstemon 4

How does one choose? All the Fling plants were fabulous!

25 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to choose just one...Love your photos. xogail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail. Gosh, there were so many amazing plants, weren't there?!

      Delete
  2. It's too hard to choose! You laid out some great options though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the foxtail lilies the best in your pictures BUT who can deny those beautiful Rocky Mtn Penstemons full of bee butts. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty awesome, Lisa. Some of the more colorful Foxtails were even more dramatic. I thought I had some close-up photos of them, but I couldn't find them. Awesome plants.

      Delete
  4. It's the particular mix of plants I think! I'm most envious of those I haven't got a chance of growing myself, like the foxtail lilies. Great photos as always, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I agree, Kris: Each Fling is magical in its own way. The Foxtails were really dramatic, and obviously happy in the Denver area.

      Delete
  5. Apache plume is the most exotic to me - that one I would remember, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it's a really special one. I wish I could grow it, because it's so unique. And the way the light plays with the seedheads...fabulous.

      Delete
  6. Your photos really do the beauties justice. Love the penstemon with all those busy bees--darling! Apache plume grows in West Texas. I've seen it for sale here in Austin, but I wouldn't bother with it, too much shade in my garden for that sun lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm jealous that you can grow Apache Plume. Even having it in the area so I could see it regularly would be nice. Every time I travel out west, I'm pleased to see Apache Plume, especially at this stage--with the seedheads soft and flowing, and the light playing through the soft, feathery plumes.

      Delete
  7. I agree, they are all fabulous. I never saw Apache plum before - I love it! But my heart throbs for the poppies, which I have never grown successfully in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I've never tried to grow Poppies. I could have at my previous garden, which had a lot more sun. Poppies would not like my current shade garden, but gosh they are special, aren't they?!

      Delete
  8. Great photos Beth, and you bring back so many memories of the gardens we visited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! I do love the poppies. I have not had luck with poppies, I will have to try again.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla. Poppies are mesmerizing, aren't they? I've never tried to grow them, but one of these days...

      Delete
  10. What a great collection of photos! Bees are going crazy in my penstemons these days. It's wonderful to watch and listen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hollis. Gosh, yes, it's so fun to watch and listen to the bees!

      Delete
  11. Fantastic photographs as always, Beth. I think my favorites might have been the Poppies, followed by the Eremurus, but as you say it is hard to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jason. Yes, I really had a hard time picking this year. Every time I think about it, a different plant comes to mind.

      Delete
  12. Wow! That is a difficult decision! Every plant is a winner!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were all fantastic! It was a wonderful event. :)

      Delete
  13. So many beautiful flowers I have never seen before! I couldn't choose a favorite.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!