February 09, 2019

Savannah in the Springtime

walkways

Flowering Dogwoods, Live Oaks covered in Spanish Moss, and Azaleas blooming everywhere you look: If that image appeals to you, consider visiting Savannah in the springtime. Last year, in March, we hit the peak of the Azalea blooms during our visit. It was cooler than normal with highs mainly in the 60s, which was perfect for walking. And you want to do a lot of walking in Savannah, Ga., because there's so much to see.

walkway

Arranged in distinct city squares--each with its own public park--Savannah has the largest National Historic Landmark District in the United States. I hadn't realized the structure of these squares; they made for comfortable walks around the city, with plenty of park benches and greenery for resting along the way. The homes are stately and beautiful, and most have historical significance; many are marked for explanation.

house 1

house 2

house 3

house 4

house 5

juliette low house

The birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts, is now a museum and a National Historic Landmark.

juliette low plaque

flannery oconnor home

National literary treasure Flannery O'Connor's birthplace is equally modest but maintained for public tours, lecture series, and other events.

flannery oconnor plaque

forsyth park fountain

If you're familiar with the book or the movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," you know the chilling true story was set in Savannah. It's interesting to see many familiar landmarks from the movie, including Forsyth Park with its three-tiered fountain and lovely arboretum.

forsyth park plaque

forsyth park walkway

forsyth park walkway 2

forsyth park arb

forsyth park walkway 3

forsyth park azaleas

bonaventure cemetery 4

Other scenes from the movie were filmed at the historic 160-acre Bonaventure Cemetery. If touring cemeteries doesn't freak you out, it's definitely worth a visit. In addition to its historic significance, Bonaventure is a stunningly beautiful garden, filled with Flowering Dogwoods, Azaleas, and many other blooming shrubs, trees, and perennials.

bonaventure cemetery 3

flowering dogwood 1

bonaventure cemetery 1

bonaventure cemetery 2

Make sure you also spend some time at the riverfront!

georgia queen

cargo ship

Many fun and reasonably priced restaurants along the riverfront have great views of the ships passing through on the Savannah River. There are some wonderful shops and art galleries on River Street, too.

church

Oh, and the churches are gorgeous, as well.

cathedral 1

cathedral 2

cathedral

We spent quite a bit of time at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, with its beautiful spires and stained glass.

stained glass

st. vincent statue

st vincent plaque

Flannery O'Connor attended St. Vincent's grammar school.

methodist church

Another lovely and historic church is the Gothic Revival Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church.

And then there are the plants and flowers...

flowering dogwood 2
Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides) draped on Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida)

camellia
Red Camellia (C. japonica)

spirea
Double Bridal Wreath Spirea (S. spiraea cantoniensis 'Lanceata')

azalea
Various Azalea shrubs (Rhododendron spp.)

savannah evening

Make sure you take an evening walk in downtown Savannah, too. It's truly magical when the Azaleas are in full bloom, with oblique light resting on the foliage and blooms, the sun setting, and the city lights beginning to illuminate the beautiful parks and architecture.

Yes, Savannah is a fabulous spring-break destination. [Sigh.]

40 comments:

  1. I will certainly never be there, that's why I was happy to follow you and admire everything you showed. Flowers charmed me. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the virtual visit, Giga. It's an amazing city! I hope I can get back there, myself, someday. I felt very comfortable walking around Savannah, and it's certainly rich with history.

      Delete
  2. We did some of the river walk in Augusta, GA. It was lovely. I can see that Savannah needs to be on my list to visit. We enjoy walking historical areas of cities.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall spending much time in Augusta (although we may have driven through at some point on one of our trips). Riverwalks are always fun. Thanks for letting me know about a new recommended destination. :)

      Delete
  3. I love Savannah, and I am glad you were able to go there. The plants seem to be really far along in their spring show. I am headed to Florida this week, and Savannah will be our stopover. You have prompted me to lobby the car for a night downtown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're having a fun trip, Les, and that you had a chance to hang out in Savannah on the way. I wish I could get away to a southern destination this year, but it's not going to happen. Maybe next year. It always helps to jump spring a little, when spending a long winter in the north.

      Delete
  4. Savannah is beautiful! I've been only once there, but remember it well. Thank you, Beth! I needed these warm, nice pictures while we have 10" snow that breaks my plants...
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I would like Savannah in every season except high summer. I don't mind the heat, but it's probably pretty oppressive in July. I've been thinking about you gardening friends in the Pacific Northwest with these latest severe snowstorms. I hope you won't have too much damage when all is said and done. Take care!

      Delete
  5. Such a different city than the ones of my acquaintance! I love azaleas, a plant I gave up growing when we moved to our current location. I miss them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Azaleas, too, Kris! Many people grow them around here, too, but none are as large and lush as the ones I've seen in Virginia on south through Florida. They were especially beautiful in Charleston and Savannah, and part of the beauty was in their placement in the various landscapes. I don't have any in my garden--they just don't seem to fit the style here.

      Delete
  6. Those long sidewalks lined with Azaleas with towering Oaks draped in moss sure look inviting. I love the architecture there. My fave in your photos is the old Victorian lady with the double round porches with wiseria draped across the front. Oh to sit there sipping sweet tea watching the bees buzz around those drapes. Your tour was much appreciated this cold dreary morning. Loved the simplicity of sunshine which brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the architecture is amazing in Savannah. The entire feeling of the city is unique--more relaxed that Charleston, but every bit as interesting. I like the fact that all the houses are different, and yet they work well together. That one with the Wisterias is really amazing, though. Yes, I'm dreaming of sunshine, warmth, bees, and tea right along with you!

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous walking tour you've given me this morning. I have never been to Savannah, but I can see it is a gorgeous destination. All of the architecture is stunning, and the gardens and parks are beautiful. Almost made me forget we'll have to shovel snow all week here, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you would love it, Karen. Go if you can! February or March: great months to get out of Wisconsin. That part of the country has the most beautiful spring season. :)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place to visit! The South really is a great place to visit in spring when all the azaleas are in bloom. Your pictures are a very nice breath of spring when it is still winter outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely beautiful, Indie! I'm glad you enjoyed the virtual spring show. I know it's helping me to have hope at this stage in this crazy winter.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how lovely to have this breath of spring while enduring a tedious PA winter. Beautiful photographs. Never been to Savannah but putting it on my bucket list. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. Yes, Savannah is definitely one to put on the bucket list. There's so much to see there, and it's gorgeous in the spring!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this fantastic preview! I say preview, because Savannah in the springtime is definitely on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Savannah seems like a "must see" for any gardener. The Azaleas are incredible. Hard to put into words or to capture in photos.

      Delete
  11. All gorgeous but that double Bridal Wreath Spirea is a knockout. My high school in Buffalo, NY was run by Mercy nuns. Irish and tough cookies. Thanks for a bit of warmth and color. I'm definitely getting tired of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Spirea was lovely, Linda--especially the way it was glowing in the sunshine. I'm glad you enjoyed the preview of spring. I really need color right now and I'm craving warmth, too. Only 16 days until meteorological spring!

      Delete
  12. Those houses look as if each one could write book filled with its own stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm sure that is true, Diana! They all have character and history. The imagination could go crazy. :)

      Delete
  13. What a stunning place, love it all . The buildings, trees , flowers and the joy of sunshine. Great photos and post.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda. It was a wonderful trip. I really enjoyed both Charleston and Savannah for their own unique reasons. Both are great cities to visit.

      Delete
  14. Great post! Makes me want to go back. Love the spanish moss draped over the flowering dogwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I want to go back, too! It almost seems like a dream now...

      Delete
  15. What a lovely post, you made me want to visit. Beautiful architecture and wonderful plants- a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great city to visit. Now I want to go back. I felt very comfortable there.

      Delete
  16. When the page first opened, I thought ... here I've been feeling sorry for Beth in the frigid Midwest, but actually she's in Savannah! Then I read "Last year ..." Yes, sigh. But maybe you have another destination for this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly, it was last year. :( No, spring break trip planned for this year, but probably next year again. Gosh, it's been a tough February!

      Delete
  17. It is time to start planning this year's vacation trips.
    I enjoyed your beautiful photos - really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lea. Savannah is a great destination, for so many reasons!

      Delete
  18. So much beauty. Thanks for this breath of spring, a sight for winter-weary eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! The memories are helping me cope with more snow heaped on top of more snow...

      Delete
  19. Amazing scenery! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!