November 11, 2010

Beautiful bugs

I don’t seem to have much luck photographing people, particularly people in motion. But I’ve had a little more success with bugs on plants. Some of the best plant photos I’ve been lucky enough to capture include insects as focal points.


They aren’t studio garden shots, and I didn’t shake off the crud and the bugs. They’re real photos of real plants in a backyard garden.


Bugs are a sign of a healthy garden (see Good Garden Ideas’ recent article about organic gardening). Of course, there are plenty of pesky, damaging insects (more on that topic later), but for the most part naturally occurring bugs are good for gardens.


Since most of the photos weren’t planned (I didn’t go into the garden planning to get great shots of insects on plants), I’m not sure I can give advice on how to do it. Mostly, it was just good luck…and also being patient, and willing to capture plants as they are—crud, bugs, and all.


2 comments:

  1. really nice pictures. i don't particularly dislike bugs. i know they are agents of mother nature in pollinating. a have a garden and i don't spay pesticides so that bugs can visit my plants. they love to cling on the hanging vines of my pergola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pergola Makers! I like your Pergolas.

    ReplyDelete