March 06, 2012

Seasonal celebrations: oh my!

In every family, there are holidays celebrated with the larger society, and holidays and traditions unique to our smaller family units. March and April are chock full of shared holidays—St. Patrick’s Day, Palm Sunday, Easter.


But these two months also contain nine out of the 23 birthdays in our family (my husband’s and my parents, our siblings, and their families). That’s 39% of the birthdays in just two months! By the time May rolls around—a month when we have no birthdays—we’re ready for a break!

The celebrations of the next few weeks include the Shamrocks, Easter baskets, bunnies, and eggs common to the season. But our group also consumes a ton of cake, ice cream, wrapping paper, and birthday candles!

In among all these celebrations, we have to have some flowers!


Whether they’re part of an Easter centerpiece or a birthday bouquet, flowers are an integral part of this season. It’s a great opportunity for me to get creative with colors, textures, and whimsical elements.









And if I have flowers left over, there’s always another holiday or birthday to celebrate the next week!


(I’m joining in Donna’s new Seasonal Celebrations meme with this post. Please visit her blog, Gardens Eye View, for more information about her great new meme. And scroll down to link in to Garden Lessons Learned.)

18 comments:

  1. Beth I am so excited you have joined in...spring is indeed so full of holidays and birthdays for my family as well...your flower arranging is exquisite...something I have not dabbled in much but would love to try someday...here's to spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I guess this is the time of year (outside of Christmas and New Year's) when we celebrate the most. I have so much shopping to do! And wrapping, and baking, and...

      Delete
  2. What a lovely bouquet! Maybe you could do a couple of posts on flower-arranging for those of us artistically-challenged like myself. Who would have thought to put lime slices in the bottom of the vase--so pretty!

    Isn't it funny how birthdays seems to fall in a bunch in a family--our month of celebrations is August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! I stole the Lime idea from an arrangement I posted on Pinterest, except it was Lemons instead of Limes. That is interesting about families and birthdays. With so many at one time, it's like one big party!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers. Flowers do seem to be a lovely addition to any celebration, and it seems your spring has more celebrations than most! And I love how you put limes in the vase! I bet that smells fabulous. I'm going to steal that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does smell very fresh. I love to try new floral combinations and designs. Pinterest is a great place for organizing all the ideas! I stole the idea myself. :)

      Delete
  4. Any excuse to partake in more cake and ice cream I am all for! Your vase is beautiful. We have lots of spring birthdays too. We get a month break and then July we load up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, ours start to add up again in July and August, too. My mouth is watering just thinking about the cake and ice cream. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I was surprised to see the limes - what a great idea! Definitely adds interest! A very pretty bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indie! I got the idea when I was posting on Pinterest--but they were Lemons instead of Limes. :)

      Delete
  6. Ahahah! Here in Italy we have lots of people born in May. That's because most families here have their holidays in August... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that would explain it! ;) May would be a wonderful time of year for a birthday!

      Delete
  7. Love the sliced limes in the vase-great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--it's always fun to try something new! I found the idea while pinning on Pinterest. I changed it up a bit, but the citrus is a borrowed idea. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful bouquets! Have a great time, spring must such a happy time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Most years it's an incredible relief after a long winter. This year, the early spring is even more fun that usual with record highs. I can really get going in the garden much earlier!

      Delete
  9. Lovely! As green as my thumb is, and even though my daughter is a floral designer, I do not have that skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wow, you obviously passed on the love of plants and flowers. It would be neat to see photos of some of your daughters arrangements!

      Delete

DEAR ANONYMOUS VISITORS: Please include your FIRST NAME. We need to know you're a real person. Security updates mean your comments likely will NOT be published unless you include your name. Sorry. Also, comments with hyperlinks might not make it through the heightened security system.

Your comment might not appear right away (even though we love you). PlantPostings uses comment moderation, and we read every comment before we publish.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great gardening day!